Saw recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I ran the crap out of a 32cc 14" McCulloch 3200 series for about 10 + years until I killed it. Good small saw. I still miss it and wish to resurrect it for the lightweight jobs.

I suffered through a few years of "big box store stupidity" running a Craftsman / Remington Pro 55 cc 18". Big mistake and huge waste of money.

My MS 271 / 16" is a dream to operate. I only feed it Stihl canned fuel. It's a little big for the smaller jobs and a little small for the bigger jobs.

I added a MS 391 / 20" to my arsenal almost a year ago. Due to laziness and other life events, I have not even cut any wood with it yet. It should do just fine for my larger projects, which include 20 huge dead oaks thanks to caterpillar damage.

In a perfect world, if I had to do over again, I would have the 391 and something smaller and lighter than the 271 for the smaller jobs.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I always had the impression that the Huskys rev a bit higher in the 13 -15 K range as opposed to the 11 K range of the Stihl's. That may have something to do with the Husky reputation of cutting faster and smoother.

You can't hit a golf ball in my county without it landing in the parking lot of a respectable Stihl dealer's parking lot so that is why I went with Stihl.

I take it your a pure blood stihl type guy?
The MS260 is my first real chainsaw and after owning it for awhile I would probably lean toward Stihl, but my loyalty is more with well designed reliable machines with a good long term reputation, my MS260 is 23 years old and you can still buy the same saw today, that says a lot !

Reactions: SpaceBus
The MS260 is my first real chainsaw and after owning it for awhile I would probably lean toward Stihl, but my loyalty is more with well designed reliable machines with a good long term reputation, my MS260 is 23 years old and you can still buy the same saw today, that says a lot !
I was making a bit of a joke about your username. It makes me wonder if you are Canadian, a car guy, or both.

I have stihl and husky products. From what I've learned from years of using products from both is: I'd rather have a stihl for small stuff like trimmers, pole saws, top handle saws, etc Husqvarna seems to make a better "big" equipment like the 390/395xp and mowers.

I was making a bit of a joke about your username. It makes me wonder if you are Canadian, a car guy, or both.

Yeah I see what you mean now I just discovered the Pur Sang type 35 Bugatti replicas, those are nice, I'm definitely a car guy eh, lol, but the Pursang in my username is the two wheeled type, the Spanish Bultaco Pursang motocross bike. I'll post a pic and then try to control my off topic shenanigans.
1973 Bultaco Pursang 1.JPG

Reactions: SpaceBus
Oh boy, reminds me of the CZ 250 and pie plate races in the So Cal desert.

If I was buying today it would be a Stihl 462 it’s expensive but very lightweight and powerful. If you can swing it financially I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: lsucet
If I was buying today it would be a Stihl 462 it’s expensive but very lightweight and powerful. If you can swing it financially I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
When I still be a husky guy, I am not disappoint at all with the 462 CM. As you mentioned, lightweight is the key.