Rust in Wood Stove - Told I need completely new stove and chimney - Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

asalter1

Sep 24, 2019
Maryland
Yesterday I had a chimney company come to do a basic chimney clean on my wood stove. I've been using the wood stove for over 3 years and have it cleaned each year. This year I had to use a new company and they did a chimney inspection along with the clean. When they conducted their inspection, they said I have substantial rust throughout my wood stove and chimney, and said the entire system needed to be replaced because it was unsafe, which they were happy to sell to me. I said I'll pass, and have another company come do an inspection. In the past 3 years, none of the other companies have said anything negative about the chimney or woodstove, except I need to have the clean out plug replaced (which I'm aware of and will be replaced before winter). On top of that, I'm not sure they even put my black piping back together properly inside.

What are you thoughts on this? Is the chimney still safe to use?

See pictures attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Rust in Wood Stove - Told I need completely new stove and chimney - Thoughts?
    Clean out plug.PNG
    132.9 KB · Views: 262
    Inside chimney 2.PNG
    109.5 KB · Views: 241
    Inside chimney.PNG
    125.7 KB · Views: 256
    Woodstove.PNG
    92 KB · Views: 260
Things look generally okay in those photos. Give us some pictures of the inside of the firebox and the top of the stack...

Do you get water in the stove when it rains?

Things look generally okay in those photos. Give us some pictures of the inside of the firebox and the top of the stack...

Will do, I'll submit them later today! We have a cap on the chimney and haven't noticed water leaking into the stove... I can tell you we have ridiculously humid summers, although I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Yesterday I had a chimney company come to do a basic chimney clean on my wood stove. I've been using the wood stove for over 3 years and have it cleaned each year. This year I had to use a new company and they did a chimney inspection along with the clean. When they conducted their inspection, they said I have substantial rust throughout my wood stove and chimney, and said the entire system needed to be replaced because it was unsafe, which they were happy to sell to me. I said I'll pass, and have another company come do an inspection. In the past 3 years, none of the other companies have said anything negative about the chimney or woodstove, except I need to have the clean out plug replaced (which I'm aware of and will be replaced before winter). On top of that, I'm not sure they even put my black piping back together properly inside.

What are you thoughts on this? Is the chimney still safe to use?

See pictures attached.

Thank you!
It is hard to say from those pictures. I see what may be rust in the chimney but I just can't tell. How old is the chimney? Has it only ever been used for wood?

It is hard to say from those pictures. I see what may be rust in the chimney but I just can't tell. How old is the chimney? Has it only ever been used for wood?

I can't tell you an exact age on the chimney, but it's been there over 6 years. However, I can tell you that since we've moved in (4 years ago) it has only been used for dry wood.

I can't tell you an exact age on the chimney, but it's been there over 6 years. However, I can tell you that since we've moved in (4 years ago) it has only been used for dry wood.

We had a detailed chimney inspection in 2016, and rust was never mentioned. All-in-all, the system was said to be in good working order and didn't look like it was used much by the previous owners.

I only ask because that looks like what we see when coal is used in a chimney not meant for it.

More information from the report:

The Flue is stainless steel rigid, wrapped insul
Flue size liner is 8r

Firebox Picture Attached

Attachments

Firebox.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 220