Rust in brand new Harman P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SoloMamaBear

Oct 18, 2021
NE Indiana
Just drove it home from the dealer and unwrapped it today and there is rust on the interior. I’m so disappointed. Dealer is closed for the day so I haven’t called.

Rust in brand new Harman P43 Rust in brand new Harman P43

Somebody removed the anti-condensation dessicant packing from the unit after it got to the dealer.
Call them & let them know you're pissed off.

Reactions: clancey
Rust in brand new Harman P43

So you don’t think it’s ridiculous to be upset? I was just shocked for the price of these to see rust. Anyone else have any input or experience with rust in a new stove?

Reactions: clancey
Light one fire and you'll never even know.

N/M....this is a pellet stove. ;lol

Reactions: SidecarFlip
You have every right to be pissed off! I look at it from a different standpoint
The surface rust is in the firebox. If Painted will burn off and smell . If Oiled will burn off and smell
after one fire a little surface rust will be gone and no smell. A little surface rust I can deal with
The smell of burnt paint or oil that I don't want in my home.
Just my nickel's worth.

Whine to the dealer and if you get nowhere, just forget about it. Like John stated in post 5, a little surface rust in the INSIDE is really inconsequential. OUTSIDE on the cabonet is another story entirely.

After the first season of burning, you'll forget about it entirely.

If you really want to do something about it, use cooking spray where it's rusty, and then light your first fire.

Now go enjoy your new stove!

• Wow
Reactions: SidecarFlip
If you really want to do something about it, use cooking spray where it's rusty, and then light your first fire.

Now go enjoy your new stove!
I have to ask, what does the cooking spray do?

Hello
If you really want to fix it, put a wire wheel from Lowe’s on your drill and clean the rust off. I had a really damp summer and got some surface rust. Dampness will cause rust so I hope your new Harman is not installed in a damp area.
You can also get some VHT flameproof flat black spray paint and touch up the paint in the firebox after wire wheeling the rust off. The paint does fade after approx 3 years from the heat so if wire wheel wheel it, clean it with acetone and paint the outside of the stove with Stove Bright Satin Black spray paint it will stay looking new. :)

7D0751D9-1665-4703-AF44-A1539380AB72.png B215BBEA-8A0E-4D73-AF57-13924A245631.png E37BC244-7E60-4A80-BDA8-EDB136D6794E.png 6B91D4DE-AFA6-4A90-BC6D-A662FA2DA76B.png

Neither does the Stabil fogging oil I use in the spring in the firebox, not that I'd smell it anyway, all goes up the vent pipe.

Due to supply chain economics (I think well all know about that), some materials (especially steel sheet) is hard to get and, the cost of steel has went up at least 35-45% per ton over what it was a year ago (I know, I buy steel shapes and sheet). Consequently, stove builders tend to use HRPO (hot rolled pickled and oiled sheet) which is why the all recommend an initial 'burn in with your windows open because you will be burning off the oiled part of the HRPO material. I'd say Harmon used HRPD (Hot rolled pickle dry) material instead of HRPO because that is all they could purchase at the time.

Consequently, some of the fabricated steel in the stove has no oiled coating (from the mill) and will surface rust, which is exactly what you see there.

Not Harmon's fault, they use what they can get. Not gonna quit building units due to lack of a certain material, they switched to an alternate, available steel sheet.

Reactions: ABusWrench