Routing a cookstove to a fireplace chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was. I must have mistook your suggestion to mean have the cookstove on one side with a thimble, and still have an operable fireplace on the other, on the same flue.
Sorry, my fault for not following the whole thread through. Yes, I was referring to your earlier statements about having two stoves with two liners, one on each side of that fireplace.

This could work well, giving you the best of both worlds. Cookstoves are great heaters, by most accounts here, but they usually suffer short burn times. Conversely, some wood stoves can give phenomenally long burn times at low output rates. You could toggle between them, depending on the needs of the day, or just keep that woodstove sipping along low, whenever you fire up the cookstove.