Roll up hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BethelStrong

Dec 12, 2018
Ohio
My only failure (so far) on my setup is my short hearth. I have only about 10 inches in front, but due to the location and small house, I could not extend it. It’s the entry spot to the living room, so it’s necessary to break this rule for me because climbing over the couch gets old real quick.

Do any of you know of a temporary “ember pad” or something I can lean up or roll up behind the stove for when I open the door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only failure (so far) on my setup is my short hearth. I have only about 10 inches in front, but due to the location and small house, I could not extend it. It’s the entry spot to the living room, so it’s necessary to break this rule for me because climbing over the couch gets old real quick.

Do any of you know of a temporary “ember pad” or something I can lean up or roll up behind the stove for when I open the door?

Wool carpet is naturally flame resistant.
Hearth n plow has hearth rugs
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7730889540682936204_9498363780523931780_2890743?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-gktvlmqgbv&gtim=COm4yP-LvZWUExCq_YrKw_r3p2IYsI7yKiIDVVNEKKCU5eEFMPe3sAE&utm_campaign=2890743&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsYeDyvXC3wIVkVqGCh1mIwOSEAQYAyABEgIGV_D_BwE

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18381643206341604877_17102137097789193246_2890743?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-gktvlmqgbv&gtim=CJPbnbXK_o-2oAEQ3fHdmfCG74PQARiwwvs9IgNVU0QooJTl4QUw97ewAQ&utm_campaign=2890743&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsYeDyvXC3wIVkVqGCh1mIwOSEAQYBCABEgI1mPD_BwE

Morso has glass hearth pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BethelStrong

Does this mean the sofa is only 10 inches away from the stove?

Does this mean the sofa is only 10 inches away from the stove?

No, it means I don’t want to step near/over a hearth pad, so I left 24 inches between the hearth and the corner of my end table (couch and table at an angle to the stove).

So, my couch is between 3 and 4 feet from my stove, depending on where you measure. The only concern is embers or a log rollout.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
What stove is this for?

The hearth in front of the stove should be permanent, at least for the season the stove is operational. That means tacked or screwed down. Hearth rugs don't qualify. If the stove only needs ember protection consider a sheet of metal. The edges can be hemmed. This could be painted, or stainless or copper depending on the look desired. Done right, this can be virtually flush with the floor.

What stove is this for?

The hearth in front of the stove should be permanent, at least for the season the stove is operational. That means tacked or screwed down. Hearth rugs don't qualify. If the stove only needs ember protection consider a sheet of metal. The edges can be hemmed. This could be painted, or stainless or copper depending on the look desired. Done right, this can be virtually flush with the floor.

It’s a Quadrafire Millennium 3100

If I was installing this pro, I wouldn’t allow it this way, but I’ve poured over my situation and I just don’t want to walk around it (or others to trip over it).

The copper (or brass”ish” looking) sheets could maybe be an option, thanks for that creative suggestion. I could see putting 8 or 10 inch panels on all four sides. Maybe.

Roll up hearth

I should’ve mentioned it has a “permanent” hearth 36x36 solid limestone 1 and 1/4 inch thick with a fire blanket 1 inch thick under it.

The 3100 only needs ember protection. You could lose the current, thick, 'permanent' hearth completely and set the stove on a 40" x 32" sheet of metal. With double wall stove pipe the rear clearance can be a close as 6.5".

The 3100 only needs ember protection. You could lose the current, thick, 'permanent' hearth completely and set the stove on a 40" x 32" sheet of metal. With double wall stove pipe the rear clearance can be a close as 6.5".

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

I couldn’t get it back any further to the wall due to the space I had in the attic for the chimney. That was the original plan in fact, as I have double wall stovepipe and was just going to live with 6 inches or so short in the front (or back if possible) on the hearth. Once I figured I couldn’t go back one rafter more, I just squared it up.

An option to move the stove back would be to put in an offset using back to back 6" double-wall 45s.

What stove is this for?

@begreen, It is an attractive install and i am not an underwriter and my question should not be considered advice in any way.

Would a hearth rug, fastened to his permanent platform via a hook and latcth be considered seasonally permanent and satisfy code?
Roll up hearth

An option to move the stove back would be to put in an offset using back to back 6" double-wall 45s.

I’ll admit I’m not a pro, and these are pro tips. Is it wrong of me to not like the looks of bent pipes? I don’t know why, but I wanted a straight shot. I kinda like the square platform, even though squaring it up was not the original idea. Even the stove is boxy, and I just didn’t care for the steptop when looking. The $900 price on a floor model sealed the deal on the Millennium 3100 though, and I could “bend” on some things, I guess.

Reactions: BobMcG
I would not do well with a hearth that small (I like to poke at the fire).

If that was my setup, I might pull the stove, tile that whole side of the room, and put it back where it was without the current hearth pad.

That is a horrible hearth pad. I’d measure out what that stove needs, go several inches beyond that, and cut out the floor and subfloor to that dimension. Cleat or rabbet new subfloor flush with top of joists, and now you have 1-1/8” - 1-1/2” thickness to work with, depending on how thick your flooring is. Thinset down some cement board, and then your choice of tile atop that. My preference is this:

https://www.inglenooktile.com/produ...MI-5nzvtjD3wIVGq_ICh0qogaMEAAYASACEgL2EfD_BwE

If it’s flush with the floor, then it’s projection into the room is a non-issue. It’s nice having a larger area for tools and wood mess, too.

That is a horrible hearth pad. I’d measure out what that stove needs, go several inches beyond that, and cut out the floor and subfloor to that dimension. Cleat or rabbet new subfloor flush with top of joists, and now you have 1-1/8” - 1-1/2” thickness to work with, depending on how thick your flooring is. Thinset down some cement board, and then your choice of tile atop that. My preference is this:

https://www.inglenooktile.com/produ...MI-5nzvtjD3wIVGq_ICh0qogaMEAAYASACEgL2EfD_BwE

If it’s flush with the floor, then it’s projection into the room is a non-issue. It’s nice having a larger area for tools and wood mess, too.

Not a bad idea. I put in the teak hardwood too, so it would be too bad, but I wanted it removable in case the house gets sold to people who won’t build fires.

It’s a Quadrafire Millennium 3100

If I was installing this pro, I wouldn’t allow it this way, but I’ve poured over my situation and I just don’t want to walk around it (or others to trip over it).

The copper (or brass”ish” looking) sheets could maybe be an option, thanks for that creative suggestion. I could see putting 8 or 10 inch panels on all four sides. Maybe.

View attachment 236831
I think you will like that Quad. I think we had the 3100 (or the largest unit) back In ca.1992. The first stove we had gave us 5 gallons of creosote and the Quad gave us less than a gallon of creosote with the same amount of wood. Enjoy!
Roll up hearth

I think you will like that Quad. I think we had the 3100 (or the largest unit) back In ca.1992. The first stove we had gave us 5 gallons of creosote and the Quad gave us less than a gallon of creosote with the same amount of wood. Enjoy!

It’s not been real cold yet, but I’ve noticed it burns real clean and I don’t have to stoke the fire at all. I put 4 small pieces in and a few hours later I put 1 big one in. I’m waiting for the cold, but so far it’s cooked us up way past where the thermostat normally is.

Thanks for your posts. Happy New Year everyone!

The stove appreciates you insisting on the straight shot. You will appreciate it also when it's time to sweep the flue.
We have an offset in our stove pipe. This was required when I switched from the Castine to the Alderlea. At first I was concerned and bothered by the thought, but that went away quickly. It hasn't affected our stove performance and it's easy to sweep through. Really, it's no big deal.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Not a bad idea. I put in the teak hardwood too, so it would be too bad, but I wanted it removable in case the house gets sold to people who won’t build fires.
That's a beautiful floor. If you need some help getting over the apprehension of cutting it, I can post photos of me doing the same to some 240 year old random width flooring, and rabbeting subfloor into a solid walnut joist beam. Talk about pucker factor.

Screw the new owners, you have to enjoy this place, first! They can always rip it out and install new flooring, if they want, it's not that big of a deal.

Drolet sells a glass hearth pad that is large enough and would allow the floor beauty to remain seen.
Maybe a better solution, but how does this justify the purchase of more power tools?

"Every project should require the purchase of at least one new tool."

The only concern is embers or a log rollout.

Personally i wouldnt worry about it. If you load north/south you shouldnt have any logs roll out and the door should only be open when you're tending the fire so any embers that happen to get spit out you can take care of right away. Unless you have kids or something you're worried about leaving the door open id just leave it.

Personally i wouldnt worry about it. If you load north/south you shouldnt have any logs roll out and the door should only be open when you're tending the fire so any embers that happen to get spit out you can take care of right away. Unless you have kids or something you're worried about leaving the door open id just leave it.
Taking care of it right away will still leave the sweet little remnant of discoloration or a burn mark ifins they do not notice it or find it in time.
Using this logic, I would vote for a wool throw over [having] nothing at all.

Last edited: