Rockwool question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I got so far and it works really good... it seems to be smoking a lot every time I open the door, I’m not sure if there’s something I can do to prevent that?

Ya I’ve been looking at tiny home websites.. I might buy a adapter and make it a 3’ but we’ll see.

Attachments

• Rockwool question
    4F6C88C8-CC4B-4E54-9BBF-865B6B332ABC.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Rockwool question
    FDB6B8AE-7F78-4BEF-96EC-4332C1418AE2.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 165
I don’t know if I should the last pipe coming out of the side of the shed or keep it short?

Attachments

• Rockwool question
    7132E6E2-4B0E-428C-A9EA-924D83925CED.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 135
I know it turned out a lot better than I had thought. I need to do a little tweaking so it doesn’t smoke inside but otherwise she’s good to go this winter!!!

I know it turned out a lot better than I had thought. I need to do a little tweaking so it doesn’t smoke inside but otherwise she’s good to go this winter!!!
No it really isnt

Why don’t you like it? It’s just like the video I posted.

Just because it is posted on Youtube doesn't make it right.

Keep in mind you are liable for any fire caused by a non-code install. Your insurance company will also leave you high and dry. Your setup seems cheap until you have an accident, if your shed burns down and burns down someone else's house you are on the hook, if it hurts someone it's gross negligence. Is it really worth the risk?

Why don’t you like it? It’s just like the video I posted.
You do realize just because you saw something on you tube doesn't mean it is even remotely safe right? What do you think will happen when that insulation gets wet? You just have insulation bats leaned against the wall and they aren't far enough out anyway. The pipe is to close to the wall above those "sheilds" you have single wall pipe passing through a wall to outside and no rise outside at all. Just to mention a few that jump out at me to start

I sometimes have been known to take shortcuts and try to save a few $$. You have a really nice shed. If it were mine, even I would not do what you did...

I’ll try and find a double wall pipe to send it through the wall and I’ll look into trying to send the pipe up when it gets outside.

The bats on the floor were really good, they kept the wall behind them honestly cold so I like that but the other two will be something I have to look into.

I’ll only be burning wood in there for a hour or two at a time, nothing too long

it seems to be smoking a lot every time I open the door, I’m not sure if there’s something I can do to prevent that?
Put a proper chimney on the stove. This is not a car exhaust.

thank you very much for this, seems like i need around 18inch of clearance. just have to find a 3inch thimble for the wall

If the stove doesn't have tested clearance ratings (because it's an outdoor camping stove for instance), you need 36".

Ask yourself how unhappy you'll be when the shed burns down. If you are passing single wall pipe through wood sheathing with some roxul crammed in the gap, the sheathing is going to pyrolize and catch fire eventually.

Last edited:
That Rockwool insulation keeps everything cold behind it. Not even a little warm but as cold as it gets. My shed is cedar so the outside wood is cold.

I need to figure out how to properly send it through the wall, I might even run this pipe through a double wall 6’ seems like the cheapest way for me. And after that send it up a little past my ridge line of my shed.

That Rockwool insulation keeps everything cold behind it. Not even a little warm but as cold as it gets. My shed is cedar so the outside wood is cold.

I need to figure out how to properly send it through the wall, I might even run this pipe through a double wall 6’ seems like the cheapest way for me. And after that send it up a little past my ridge line of my shed.

Absolutely untrue. R13 is R13. When you compress it and take air out of it like around your pipe, R13 is far less than R13. The airspace is why it is good insulation. Call the number on the bag and ask their tech guys.

You need a thimble to go through the wall.

An electric space heater is $30 and won't burn down your shed. That getup is likely to.

I’m thinking about buying a double walled pipe and putting it thought the wall and running my pipe through the double walled pipe since my pipe is soo small it should be easy. Than sending it up once it is outside

I wouldn't leave sight of the shed when burning and have a fire extinguisher on hand.

What if I do what I say I would do. I think that would be safe.
Put in an actual chimney with a real wall pass through. And some real heat sheilds covering anything within 36" of the stove and 18" of the pipe

Reactions: Socratic Monologue
Pack that stove with wood and light it up. Take plenty of pics.

That looks like some of the set ups I've seen on some of those off the grid shows. His setup actually looks better than some of the ones on the show.

hearthon, with the right wind, that "chimney" is going to blow back into your stove, fill your shed with CO, and then when you're unconscious with the stove door open the shed is going to catch fire with you in it. That's the smoking when you open the door -- this is telling you that your chimney isn't functioning. This is no joke. A shed full of wood stove smoke will kill you.

There are some good basic articles here. Please start with this one: https://www.hearth.com/articles/2015/10/18/the-basics-on-how-to-install-a-wood-burning-stove/

This looks Darwinian... ;lol

Thank you very much for the article on proper installation, I’ll have to move the chimney above my ridge line on the roof but I don’t think I’ll be able to raise it above the top of my roof. I’ll make it two feet higher but higher then the roof will be tough.

I need something to put it through the wall so I’m going to start researching on how to do that properly.

Thanks everyone for the reply’s I need to get this to stop smoking out my shed.

I inhaled a lot of smoke today and my lungs hurt :( but I had fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.