Rockwool question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthon

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
Can I use Rockwool insulation with no r value to protect the side of my shed instead of bricks?

Can I use this insulation around a pipe that I’m going to put through my cedar wall?

Can I use Rockwool insulation with no r value to protect the side of my shed instead of bricks?

Can I use this insulation around a pipe that I’m going to put through my cedar wall?
We need way more information about what you are trying to do to give you any advice

i have cedar shed and i got a wood stove for free so i want to put it in my shed. it has a small 2inch pipe and i was to put it through the wall but i cant seem to find a metal piece to go through the wall and i would liek to do this the cheapest way possible. i want to wrap my pipe with rock wool with no r value and put it though the wall like this youtube video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it starts at the 6 min mark

also i would like to put the stove in the corner of my shed and instead of using bricks to protect the shed i would like to use the insulation again in the corner. is all this ok?

thanks everyone for the responces

i have cedar shed and i got a wood stove for free so i want to put it in my shed. it has a small 2inch pipe and i was to put it through the wall but i cant seem to find a metal piece to go through the wall and i would liek to do this the cheapest way possible. i want to wrap my pipe with rock wool with no r value and put it though the wall like this youtube video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it starts at the 6 min mark

also i would like to put the stove in the corner of my shed and instead of using bricks to protect the shed i would like to use the insulation again in the corner. is all this ok?

thanks everyone for the responces

Well you cannot pass single wall pipe through a wall no matter what you do to it. What stove do you have and what clearance requirements does it have?

i have the same stove as in this video, and its really hard to find anything for a 2inch pipe. it dosent have to be to code its for my shed and i wont be lighting it for too long.

will rockwool prevent the wood from getting too hot? i would like to line the corner of my shed with it and put the stove as close as possible to the walls

i have the same stove as in this video, and its really hard to find anything for a 2inch pipe. it dosent have to be to code its for my shed and i wont be lighting it for too long.

will rockwool prevent the wood from getting too hot? i would like to line the corner of my shed with it and put the stove as close as possible to the walls
What makes you think it doesn't have to be to code?

lol well it does have to be to code but id like to try this out first and see how much i actually use it before going all out and buying all the pipes for it.

lol well it does have to be to code but id like to try this out first and see how much i actually use it before going all out and buying all the pipes for it.
I can't help you cobble together a system that ignores just about every applicable code sorry.

besides going through the wall do you think it would be ok to line the corner of the shed with this insulation?

besides going through the wall do you think it would be ok to line the corner of the shed with this insulation?
Yes if you honor the clearance requirements of the stove.

im not sure what they are for the stove but for ths insulations it says at least 10mm away from it. itll be around a foot but i just need to figure out something for the wall.

even though the rockwool has no r value it will still prevent heat from going through it?

The short answer is going to be "no". Clearance requirements are based on the stove to combustibles. You can use a heat shield to reduce them in some cases but it's stove dependant. Insulation on the wall won't affect the necessary clearances

ya i didnt meant to say prevent, itll slow it down but wont stop the heat completly from getting to the wall.
i really dont want to put brick in the corner just yet

ya i didnt meant to say prevent, itll slow it down but wont stop the heat completly from getting to the wall.
i really dont want to put brick in the corner just yet
Putting brick there won't change clearance requirements either

A properly constructed nfpa ventilated wall sheild will

thank you very much for this, seems like i need around 18inch of clearance. just have to find a 3inch thimble for the wall

thank you very much for this, seems like i need around 18inch of clearance. just have to find a 3inch thimble for the wall
You need a 3" chimney and matching components

even though the rockwool has no r value it will still prevent heat from going through it?
Roxul mineral wool does have insulation value. It's R value is R15 for a standard stud wall.

I actually just found that out from further reading. I bought the fire and sound one and figured it had nothing but it still have a little bit.

What website does everyone in here use to buy pipes and connectors?

Your needs for that little stove are going to be unique. Go to some Tiny Homes websites for info on chimney suppliers and adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.