Restoring Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romancommander

Jul 25, 2014
Canada
Hey all, I am trying to restore a PE Spectrum Classic I bought secondhand. This is the first time I have ever tried something like this.

I washed the trivet in 50/50 vinegar and water solution due to rust and it came out silver. Should I now paint it with high temp stove paint, stove polish or leave it?

There is some rust on the stove door. What is the best way to get rid of this rust and get it back to it's original black colour.

Lastly, there is a space around the ash chute that doesn't look right. I followed the firebrick installation instructions so I am not sure if that is supposed to be like that.

I am attaching pics for reference.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Restoring Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic
    Pic1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 346
    Pic2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 313
    Pic3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 301
Use steel wool and a wire brush to clean up the door. Then wipe down with a tack rag to remove dust and flakes, then wipe down with alcohol. Mask and spray paint with Stove Brite metallic black paint.

The ash chute should have a plug in it.
Most folks seal the ash chute and cover it with brick, Then just scoop the ash out of the firebox.

Is the metallic black paint the same colour as OEM? Do I need to prime the trivet now that it is bare silver? I assume I just use painter's tape to protect the glass when spraying?

I'd leave the trivet the way it is unless you really want it black. Be sure to paint the door in a very well ventilated space. Stove Brite paint is potent and can damage brain cells.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.