Required Clearances from Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesbeach

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2007
Huntington, NY
I've been lurking for a long time and I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get a stove. One issue that I'm not sure of though. Are there any special requirements for clearances from windows? I'm looking to locate the stove in a corner that has french doors on each face. The doors are not operable so I'm not worried about egress. But do the codes have any additional requirements when dealing with windows? My gut says there aren't, but I don't really trust my gut.

Thanks for the help.

jonesbeach said:
I've been lurking for a long time and I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get a stove. One issue that I'm not sure of though. Are there any special requirements for clearances from windows? I'm looking to locate the stove in a corner that has french doors on each face. The doors are not operable so I'm not worried about egress. But do the codes have any additional requirements when dealing with windows? My gut says there aren't, but I don't really trust my gut.

Thanks for the help.
I get asked this alot and it baffles me why people think you can't put a wood stove in front of a window.

Your clearance to windows with the the same as clearances to Combustables
Windows are NON combustable but the Window frames are not.
If you look at some of the photos on the www.Lopistoves.com or www.avalonstoves.com they have a lot of stoves in front of windows.

Jonesbeach, what's your 20?

Also, if you are installing from scratch, and have no corner chimney to deal with, I have to ask why you wouldn't consider placing the stove towards the interior?

Welcome aboard.

-Kevin

Our company installed a VC Encore in front of a window, we just treated it like a combustible surface and maintained adequate clearances. It's worked fine for several years now.

As a dedicated Linux user, I figure it is something everyone should know - Reccomended clearance from Windows is AS FAR AS POSSIBLE! (ditto any other Microsoft product....) :lol:

If you're talking about those glass things I believe it's the same as to any other surface - as mentioned earlier, glass isn't combustible, but frames are....

Gooserider

JB, I had similar concerns with my corner install. I have exceeded the Jotul specs for clearance by a couple of inches, just to be on the safe side. But it is turning out to be a non-issue. If you are very anxious, get a stove that has low corner clearances like the PE, some Jotuls, Napoleons, etc.

I think the big issue with installing a stove next to a window ( no, not Windows XP ) is there is going to be huge heat loss and also normally a window has a curtain of sort , otherwise i wouldn't think there would be any other issue.

My .02

If they are the fancy low-E reflective-type windows, then you won't lose so much heat. I've stood outside in front of one of those with the sun reflecting off, and there was a surprising amount of heat coming at me.

Come to think of it, even the cheap glass doors on my prefab seem to reflect most of the radiant heat, although it's hardly a desirable feature in that case.

Windows are a combustible as the frames are usually wood or vinyl. As such, they must be treated just the same. If the window was a large plate glass area without frames - well, that would fall somewhere in between the cracks (so to speak). In theory you could get closer, but we have to guess about the temp rating of the coatings and interior gases, etc.

Best just to use the regular ratings.

Another downside is that the closer you get, the more radiant heat will be lost to the outside.

If I could, even with the new and improved changes coming for 2007 a wood stove in front of a window would look butt ass IMNSHO

It would probably complicate design matters if you want to put a curtain on it as the curtain would most likely be a combustible. Maybe a set of blinds that wouldn't melt or warp from the stoveheat...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.