replacing woodstove with pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Now I have my adapters all set but the adapter is same od as the pipe i need to fit it into any suggestions? photo attatched

regarding the insurance, legality and usability questions...
I had a permit to install this woodstove in the garage last year, after reading and others saying your not allowed I was given the permit and an a final inspection by fire inspector the 1 caveat was it had to be peofessionally installed. as far as insurance company I called them as well before hand to see about premium increase and they had no concern with the stove or no concern as far as 2 agents could find.I read the bad reviews about the wiseway a couple years befor i picked this up the 2 major issues im xpecting are the grate needing to be adjusted and the pellets stopping up. i had 3 trees taken down to build the garage so i had free wood but now the woods gone and i will need to purchase or scavage wood and loading the stove every 1-2 hours is no good the garage insulation is almost no existant so i like the idea of the pellets running awhile. I also got a good price on the wiseway the previous owner bought it but couldnt use it his pipe was for a rear low pipe so he supposedly used it in his yard twice, i paid 750.

BB4C7B69-C34D-4844-9E72-F248109CDD41.jpeg 43B00209-E536-4397-A0BE-3A0AC9C9E85C.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheap enough. You'll have to keep us up to date on how it works, or don't work.

My only comment is, that is one helluva diameter transition.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Cheap enough. You'll have to keep us up to date on how it works, or don't work.

My only comment is, that is one helluva diameter transition.
im curious how its gonna work myself but my trouble now is the transition
the install directions say to do it like this right at the top of stove going 3 to 6 but im having trouble not being familiar with the pipe and not being able to pick the parts up locally.

Candidly, I buy all my venting parts at either Venting Pipe .Com or Home Depot. HD is usually a bit cheaper but don't have the selection Venting Pipe has. I have no local suppliers unless I want to buy those 1 foot sections that I'm not interested in.

i see lowes has this union but I dont know if its a good idea, im kind of back to my original question maybe the duravent part would be better but not sure about using it on the single wall black pipe,
replacing woodstove with pellet

Just keep in mind that you cannot mix Selkirk and Duravent pellet venting as the interlock is different.

picked this imperial pipe up has a nice tight fit the selkirk goes over it nice, whats the difference wether they go over each other vs in each other, does this look ok? I just read about the creosite dripping so based on that i think this might be good but any last input would be helpful and greatly apreciated befor i put it back
up and fire it.

B0D596E9-F268-4BAE-8320-0791FB89B4F8.jpeg 44D41FC6-39F1-40D5-872E-61A862C229DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I was taught by my Grand Father many years ago that the male end goes
up or in the direction the smoke is going so it does not escape into the room
Note Pellet stoves create very little if any creosote
In 22 years I have never seen any in my stove or pipes Lots of ash yes Creosote no

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I was taught by my Grand Father many years ago that the male end goes
up or in the direction the smoke is going so it does not escape into the room
Note Pellet stoves create very little if any creosote
In 22 years I have never seen any in my stove or pipes Lots of ash yes Creosote no
My experience has been the other direction, or the same as in the photo. Yes a properly running pellet stove will produce essentially no creosote just ash. But that can get still messy if it leaks down the side of the pipe, especially with the assistance of condensation or blown in rain when the stove is off.

With this being a slight negative pressure venting, the smoke shouldn’t leak regardless of direction. Heck once I had a few small holes in my pipe before I was able to replace it, and I still got no smoke or carbon monoxide in the old house. Only smoke was when starting up, and most of that was coming from the stove door until the piping warmed up from stone cold.

Actually, I get some creosote formation at the rain cap on mine but I suspect that is from the chilling effect of the byproducts of combustion at the top of my venting which is 18 feet above the transition Tee. Nothing anywhere else.