replacing woodstove with pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanM

Sep 14, 2020
usa
I have an old woodstove I want to replace with this gravity fed gw1949, off the woodstove now is a 6” single wall pipe, the gw1949 says use a 3-6 adapter, I was looking at 3pvp-x6 but it says double wall will this work or could someone recommend something? also have a question about the existing pipe just below the seam it has a ring crimp looking thing is it just slipped on or is there a sealer or something in there also?
Thanks

replacing woodstove with pellet replacing woodstove with pellet replacing woodstove with pellet replacing woodstove with pellet replacing woodstove with pellet

That pellet stove was my first choice for a pellet but if you do the research you will find that there are more beautiful pellet stoves out there which are a whole lot less work and so convenient as well..I returned my first stove like your new one and unless your in a camp or something and not heating your main home I suggest you look into other type of pellets stoves even if you might have to spend a little bit more money. The first problem I ran into from the different "readings" was the screens that hold the pellets did not hold up and had to be replaced "often"...For those stoves other people on the "net" suggested burning them with hard pellets not soft because that would be less ash...I am a old lady who has no experience with stoves --just picking up information from "here and there" and wanted you to have a good experience with a better and more easier pellet stove to heat your home if that is what your intention is...maybe you do not want electricity in case of some kind of happening--that was the original purpose for me but they do have other stoves that "if your knowledgeable" you can back up with a few special kind of batteries..,I thumb down your stove choice unless your in a camp or want something that could be movable... I will light my wood stove for the first time in Sept and not experienced at all but wanted to give you my suggestion on what I have been able to learn...old mrs clancey

That pellet stove was my first choice for a pellet but if you do the research you will find that there are more beautiful pellet stoves out there which are a whole lot less work and so convenient as well..I returned my first stove like your new one and unless your in a camp or something and not heating your main home I suggest you look into other type of pellets stoves even if you might have to spend a little bit more money. The first problem I ran into from the different "readings" was the screens that hold the pellets did not hold up and had to be replaced "often"...For those stoves other people on the "net" suggested burning them with hard pellets not soft because that would be less ash...I am a old lady who has no experience with stoves --just picking up information from "here and there" and wanted you to have a good experience with a better and more easier pellet stove to heat your home if that is what your intention is...maybe you do not want electricity in case of some kind of happening--that was the original purpose for me but they do have other stoves that "if your knowledgeable" you can back up with a few special kind of batteries..,I thumb down your stove choice unless your in a camp or want something that could be movable... I will light my wood stove for the first time in Sept and not experienced at all but wanted to give you my suggestion on what I have been able to learn...old mrs clancey
Its going in my garage, ive been reading about it for a couple years now and im aware of the grate people have trouble with, its not a matter of money that led me to it but my preference.

They make an adaptor for what you are looking for do a google search
Good luck with the Wiseway. Let us know how it works out
also covered here

They make an adaptor for what you are looking for do a google search
Good luck with the Wiseway. Let us know how it works out
also covered here
I used google thats how I found the adapter I posted but im not too familiar with double wall triple wall and single wall so instead of ordering it and crossing my fingers i was hoping someone familiar would share the knowledge, thanks for the link but he's going from 3” pipe to triple wall, im looking to go from top of stove to single wall not being familiar with it im not sure if its the same and they dont give i.d. and o.d. which would take the guess work out for me.

I havent been successful in finding the correct adapter to go from the 3" pellet stove to 6" single wall pipe is it possible for someone to post a link or part number ?

Reactions: RyanM and johneh
For selkirk

Reactions: RyanM and Washed-Up

Attachments

• replacing woodstove with pellet
    AF5774F2-19E8-446D-A6DC-767462B3F87D.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 131
To connect to the tail pipe of the stove you’ll need the appliance adapter. The 3 to 6 won’t connect directly to the stove

Please let us know how the 'Wiseway' works out for you. I'm curious. I've read lots of 'less than desirable things about them.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Personally I might get a 3 to 4 inch adapter and go with 4 inch pellet pipe. I helped a guy with one of these a couple years back and we had an awful time with his. The 4 inch will breath better.

When it comes to venting, bigger is always better...lol

You are aware that solid fuel burners are against code in any garage in the US right? It can cause big problems with insurance if anything ever happens

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Me, I'm at 4" (3-4 cleanout Tee) and 4" vertical at 14 feet with a rain cap. 3" out of the corn burner which is standard fare. 3" through the wall thimble. I don't use short sections of vent either, I use the longest I can get which is (I think) 5 feet sections. Been like that for at least 15 years now. Never an issue other than the usual nitric acid corrosion which causes me to replace sections infrequently. Get mine from Venting Pipe.com.

A no power stove that burns pellets or wood is the rocket stove $1500 or so, made state side not a chi-com product like the wiseway ( which originally was a US made stove. the developer sold out to US stove) I have no affiliation with said stove. I have been following it for awhile. They are on the second generation now. Kind of the same principal as the wiseway but a different approach. Kind had a hankering for the wiseway way back when, but pellet prices were/are rising and NG was decreasing at the time. ( now everthing is in freefall)
Course this is a solid fuel device and to reiterate not legal for a garage install ( unless that area has been converted to a domicile) A heating device in a garage must be a minimum of 4 ft off the floor, last I remember of basic codes- variations exist for local authority. More importantly is what your Ins. co. has to say about it. We all know that any hint of an "out" will be used big time a far as a claim is concerned.

I'd bet that at least 75% of owners of bio mass appliances never consult their insurance carries about the legality of using one anyway.

I'd bet that at least 75% of owners of bio mass appliances never consult their insurance carries about the legality of using one anyway.
I've used SafeCo, Liberty Mutual and now Alstate for our home owners insurance. All were told about our pellet stove and fireplace too. Only question asked was "who installed it?" All brick home with without natural gas, propane or oil. Closest fire hydrant is miles away! I know a garage is a different critter though. I use a convection heater with a 20lb propane tank in my detached garage, but only when absolutely necessary, as I don't tolerate the cold as well as I used to. Must be that age thing again!

I have in floor PEX heat in my shop slab. Propane fired of course. Nothing beats a warm floor on a cold winter day.

Also have a propane overhead forced air heater (Reznor), but rarely use it.

Reactions: ABusWrench