Replacing Wood Stove with Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

jfhall27

Sep 22, 2024
New Hampshire
I'm hoping to replace my existing wood stove (in my basement) with a pellet stove. The existing wood stove is venting into a clay lined (6x12 I think) masonry chimney and I'm having a tough time with the local advice that I'm getting. The guys at the local stores that sell Harman and other brands say this is easy and can be connected right up - but most internet research says to put in a liner. My rise would be about 20-25 feet.

Second part is on the inside. I have a brick hearth and a 6" round opening. How would I go about finishing that off if I lined it, or what would I need to use for an adapter if it's acceptable to direct vent? The attached pics are of my existing setup.

Thank you,
John

[Hearth.com] Replacing Wood Stove with Pellet

[Hearth.com] Replacing Wood Stove with Pellet

Welcome to the forum!
I'm no expert on clay liners but if it was safe for a wood stove
then a pellet stove is good to go as far as I am concerned. Just
check with your building inspector of the Fire department maybe
even your insurance company. But I will bet that they don't know

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen
Welcome to the forum!
I'm no expert on clay liners but if it was safe for a wood stove
then a pellet stove is good to go as far as I am concerned. Just
check with your building inspector of the Fire department maybe
even your insurance company. But I will bet that they don't know
Thank for the advice. I called the building inspector today and he indicated it was fine to vent directly into the chimney so that's good news. Any idea where I can find the necessary adapter to go from a 3" PVL to the single wall stove pipe that my wood stove is using. I've been searching for a while now without much luck.

Thanks

If your wood stove used 6 in single wall into the chimney
I would suggest that you get a 6 to3 adaptor and use pellet
vent as needed to the stove