Replacing parts on a Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zeni

Jul 5, 2024
France
Hi, we have a holiday house in France and while we were away the chapeau came off the chimney letting water inside. This has damaged our Jotul woodburner. The tradesman says that we need to replace it but it looks like only one part is damaged. We are looking for your expert advice on whether you think this is feasible. The part that has corroded is where the chimney bolts onto the stove. I have looked on the website to see what part it is and this has proven difficult! I think that it is a rectangular piece that sits between the main stove and the first part of the chimney. Any advice much appreciated!

View attachment 20240704_132402.jpeg View attachment 20240704_132134.jpeg
20240701_170517.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Which model Jotul is this?

It looks like those pieces were never meant to fit together. The transition sticks out pretty far over the back of the stove. It looks like the last bolt is only holding air. Given the gap until the cast iron on top, maybe the transition wasn’t installed correctly?

Do you have any other pics?

Yes, this looks cobbled together. Can you post a picture of the whole stove from the front?

The concern will also be for the interior condition of the stove. If the baffle has rusted out, then that also may need replacement.

Looks like the image sizes are much too large. I resized these two pictures down to 1200 px x 900px so that they can display but I still don't know which model Jotul this is.

20240704_132402.jpeg 20240704_132134.jpeg

The pieces I see are just gasket. They’re thick, but that doesn’t mean it won’t seal. I think you’re going to have to pull the stove and see if everything fits together correctly.

Thank you for your very helpful advice. From what you have said it looks like the damaged piece may be the Jotul Flue Collar Gasket (224350)? Also the reason the pieces are not fitting together at the moment is that the two bolts holding them together have sheared off. The body of the stove looks fine and I can see the bolts on the inside of the stove. I can't work out the model because the plate on the back is not readable anymore - maybe the F600?. Here are some more pictures that might be more useful. Also this parts diagram I found on the internet.
Replacing parts on a Jotul

View attachment 20240706_124613.jpeg

View attachment 20240706_124416.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Part number 6 is the outlet. Taking the current one off and cleaning up the stove to where it connects to the outlet would be my next step.

The pictures posted of the stove are too large to display. Reduce the size.

It looks like the stove just needs a little attention. Broken bolts are not that hard to replace. Drill out the core of the broken bolt and retap, then put in a new flue collar gasket. Internally, the baffles need to butt up flat against each other and there should be a baffle insulation blanket (kaowool) on top. The door gaskets should also be checked and replaced if necessary. This should only be a couple of hours work for someone properly prepared.

Reactions: EbS-P