Replacement Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durieu

Jan 18, 2021
Durieu, BC
Looking to upgrade an existing small wood stove.
The masonry opening is:
26 Wide
23 Deep
20 Tall
The hearth is 30 inches long, 53 inches wide.
current stove is
22.5 wide
15 deep
17 tall.

I would love something that would project out on to the hearth 12+ inches.
I've contacted a few places in the area. They simply tell me what they have won't work, but not WILL work.

Anyone have any ideas/recommendations on what i could get in that space?

Replacement Wood Stove Insert

That's a low opening. In new stoves this could be a tough one, the selection is much smaller than before 2020. The discontinued Regency Hearth heater H2100M's flue collar just tops at 20".

What insert is in there now?

Another kind of longshot would be a larger box stove, with the legs removed, maybe sitting on bricks, something like the Jotul F118CB or the Morso 2B.

The cowling around the stove has a "Pacific Energy" label. I know the house is 50 years old.

I can see how you need to get this right the first time. Buying, shipping, only to fail the install, would be a problem.
Pulling out the existing stove would give access to better measurements....

What is the issue with the current insert? PE is a very well respected stove?

The current stove is very small. (Firebox)

I have pulled off the surround and taken measurements.

I don't know the substrate under the hearth. I guess i would have to rip up one of the stones to know, right?

The cowling around the stove has a "Pacific Energy" label. I know the house is 50 years old.

I can see how you need to get this right the first time. Buying, shipping, only to fail the install, would be a problem.
I thought that looked like an early PE model. The insert is newer than the age of the house. My guess is this is an early Vista insert.

It's a small fireplace. Most inserts that will fit are going to have a 1.5 cu ft firebox or smaller.

Guessing this is a Vista. 1.6 cuft. On the smaller side. Claimed 6 hr burn in the literature I found. Possibly

The current stove is very small. (Firebox)

I have pulled off the surround and taken measurements.

I don't know the substrate under the hearth. I guess i would have to rip up one of the stones to know, right?
Does your home have a crawl space or concrete foundation? I'm just curious if removing the hearth and increasing the size of fire box is even an option.

Concrete foundation.
That hearth is raised a few inches off that foundation, but i doubt they filled that void with flammable material.

The inside of the stove is
11 deep
18 wide
12 tall
about 1.4 cubic feet.
I'm thinking you're either going to have to use a free stander or take the hearth down to accommodate a larger insert. Otherwise you will be very limited.

Adapting a Free Stander is an option. I wouldn't mind that.
Taking the Hearth down is also an option. I'm not in love with it. So my "Tall" could increase by several inches.
I'll have to measure the potential and report back.

My outer hearth is 8 1/4 inches tall.
If i made my outer hearth level with the existing concrete floor, would i then be able to take a few inches out of the inner hearth to make the fireplace opening larger?
I've searched the internet for similar jobs. Most of what i found is demolition, not altering.

My outer hearth is 8 1/4 inches tall.
If i made my outer hearth level with the existing concrete floor, would i then be able to take a few inches out of the inner hearth to make the fireplace opening larger?
I've searched the internet for similar jobs. Most of what i found is demolition, not altering.
Its certainly possible. If you get the old one out and get some pics we can see how its constructed. It may require you to drill a test hole to see how it's all put together.

Ok. I like where this is going.
So my question would now be... If I were to make my fireplace X inches bigger, what kind of stove could i get??
NEW Fireplace opening is:
26 Wide
23 Deep
X Tall (between 20 and 28 inches.)

Need to gauge the work vs reward.

This is just a guess based on the fact that the foundation is concrete and the stonework appears to sit interior to the wall. I would not be surprised if it was modified after construction. The hearth stone appears to be different. I bet the raised hearth was installed for the current insert and possibly a pour inside the fireplace.

I was able to get my old stove removed.
Thus allowing better measurements.
24 3/4 Wide (narrowest at the stone opening.)
21 inches deep (back wall to opening)
20 1/4 Tall (at the opening, lip to the metal cross bar.)

The hearth extends out another 36 inches from the opening of the fireplace.

Replacement Wood Stove Insert Replacement Wood Stove Insert Replacement Wood Stove Insert Replacement Wood Stove Insert

It's probably a PE Vista insert which is 19.25" tall, 1.6 cu ft firebox.

Right now the 20" opening height is the deciding factor. If the big hearth was removed, then a big rear vent stove like an Ideal Steel or Progress Hybrid could be installed at floor level. Another alternative would be to raise the lintel. If the interior hearth floor has also been built up, then it might be removable, but it's important to know what's underneath this first.

Is there a block-off plate installed in the damper area. If not, that plus a bit of insulation behind the insert would increase its heat output a notable amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: jalmondale
No block off plate. I'll look to get one.

PE Vista insert, did come out of there. My problem is that it is too small. Only a 1.6 cf firebox
The 20" open height is the factor now..... Unless someone knows of a 20 tall, 23 wide and 40 long stove.

I'll look at enlarging the height.

How is the hearth constructed? Is it stone veneer on a wood-framed box? If so, that may be the easiest change to get a large rear-vented freestander in.