Replacement doors for catalytic fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Questions

Dec 6, 2011
Southwest MO
I'm having trouble with my fireplace smoking through the doors. It's an old catalytic fireplace. If I damp down the fireplace enough to get a decent burn time, small amounts of smoke leak out through the doors into the house. I can slow this way down by shutting off the outside air intake, so that the fire draws air through the leaky doors, but that's not helping to heat my house.

I don't think that the doors are actually original to the fireplace. The prior owner of my house was, well, unique, and I think given all the other things around here that were broken when I bought the place, I think he may have broken the original doors. Attached is a picture from the brochure showing the original doors, and another showing the bifold doors that are on there now.

So here is my question. Is it possible to get a set of replacement doors to seal out the smoke and get a better burn time?
When I look at fireplace doors online they all say "Not airtight". The fireplace has it's own outside air source, it pulls from under the crawlspace, so I don't see why the doors cannot be airtight.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Replacement doors for catalytic fireplace.
    Fireplace manual.webp
    46 KB · Views: 127
  • [Hearth.com] Replacement doors for catalytic fireplace.
    Whole fireplace.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 143
Have you checked the gaskets on the doors? That can be an easy fix.

Ah, so now we know where the problem lies for sure. Hopefully someone will chime in here with suggestions for new doors.

I'm still searching. Seems like every time I find doors that I like they say "Not for metal fireboxes" Surely someone out there makes something that will work. I really cannot tear the fireplace out and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.