Replaced 20 yr old BK Princess with Timberwolf 2200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EWgal

Dec 31, 2018
Whitman County, Wa
My old BK stove needed a lot of work. I had the inside L and R metal pieces replaced and the cracks welded, but the thermostat (2nd one) isn't working and hard to get it to shut down for overnight use.

My local CAC replaced it. I didn't have a say in the replacement, but they showed up with a Timberwolf 2200.
:confused:. I certainly was not impressed when they installed it. After burning it for several days now, I think it's a better boat anchor than my old BK.

My solution at this time, because the Timber Wolf is a firewood eating machine is to install a damper. Then take my old BK to a welding shop to get the inside under where the chimney is repaired, install new firebrick, and a new thermostat and switch them out.

Comments or advice????

Kerry

Maybe keep an eye out for a new, slightly used BK stove? Or, for the price of repair there are some very nice large new EPA stoves like the Drolet HT2000 or Englander 30NC that will be big on heat and frugal with the wood.

What's a CAC? Will they bring me free stoves? :)

Never heard of that company, but the stove sounds okay for a cheap stove from the manual. Only 2cf, but 86% efficiency, and it has air controls.

The damper might help, though the manual specifically says not to use one.

20 years is a pretty good run for a steel stove... might be time for a new BK. Not sure how much I'd invest in a decades-old one. You probably wouldn't have much trouble getting $500 for the new timberwolf (if it's yours? Again, not sure what a CAC is).

Community Action Center - I found myself on disablity a few years ago and no longer have the income to purchase a new one. I asked them and they got me a new one..
What's a CAC? Will they bring me free stoves? :)

Never heard of that company, but the stove sounds okay for a cheap stove from the manual. Only 2cf, but 86% efficiency, and it has air controls.

The damper might help, though the manual specifically says not to use one.

20 years is a pretty good run for a steel stove... might be time for a new BK. Not sure how much I'd invest in a decades-old one. You probably wouldn't have much trouble getting $500 for the new timberwolf (if it's yours? Again, not sure what a CAC is).
mmuniuty

Welcome to Hearth. How exactly are you running the stove? Fully loaded to start with? After establishing a active fire on a full load, when are you reducing the primary air supply? How long has your wood supply been cut, split, stacked seasoning? Do you by chance know what the internal moisture content of you wood is? Can you post pics of your setup and describe the complete vent system? Lots of help to be had here. Answering these standard questions will really help getting answers.

The Timberwolf should be performing pretty well, but it will not operate like the old BK. Are you closing down the air once the fire gets going? The Timberwolf will need a good flue system. How tall is the complete flue system from stove top to chimney cap? Also, how well seasoned is the firewood?

The Timberwolf should be performing pretty well, but it will not operate like the old BK. Are you closing down the air once the fire gets going? The Timberwolf will need a good flue system. How tall is the complete flue system from stove top to chimney cap? Also, how well seasoned is the firewood?

I am going to try and answer both yours and more snows questions.

When there is a bed of coals I add more wood, get it blackened and move the lever all the way to the left. I believe the flue system can handle it as it's the same Metalbestos pipe, all the way up except on the main floor. when it goes through the ceiling is where the Metalbesto pipe starts. It goes through a bedroom upstairs. It has always been tall enough...

Yes, wood is well seasoned red fir and tamarack. I do have a moisture meter I can check it.

Yes, I can take pics and I have made several videos showing how it burns when shut down...

I think it's running to hot.. of course that is one way to get the stove to meet EPS regs?

Attachments

• video-1546372340.mp4
    6.2 MB · Views: 153
That's helpful. Is your old BK a catalytic version? Do you know the model number?

Note, this stove will not burn like the Princess. It does not have a thermostat. It will not burn low and slow. You will need to relearn operation. I am going to guess that you are waiting too long to turn down the air. Once the wood starts burning, try turning it down as soon as possible, without completely snuffing out the flames. Turn down the air until the flames start getting lazy, but not out. Wait a few minutes for the flames to regain strength (maybe 5-10 minutes?), then turn it down again until the flames get lazy or all the way if possible.

This is a simpler stove than the Princess, especially if your old stove was catalytic. Operation will be more manual. If you want less heat, just burn 4-5 splits at a time and reload every 6 hrs.. With a full load of wood the burn cycle should be about 8 hrs..

Reactions: moresnow
With glass that pristine I'd do as Begreen suggests to a T. Eventually you may need to open the air back up at the very very tail end of the burn sequence to burn down the coals for reload room and stretch your heat output. Definitely different operation compared to your old stove.

You should get a stove top thermometer so you can monitor and quote temps.

Of course you should be trying to track down if there is a gasket leak in the door (dollar bill test) or some other problem but it may help to modify how you run the stove.

Ex. if you're re-loading on a hot coal bed you may need to burn the coals down more before loading or rake them forward to avoid having the new load catch and go up all at once.

Shutting down the air earlier can slow the burn and help to limit peak temps.

Large splits are better as well and you can also load sideways (East/West) rather than N/S which changes the way the air penetrates the load.

How tall would estimate the chimney to be? You may be over-drafting in which case a key damper may be in order.

You should get a stove top thermometer so you can monitor and quote temps.

Of course, you should be trying to track down if there is a gasket leak in the door (dollar bill test) or some other problem but it may help to modify how you run the stove.

Ex. if you're re-loading on a hot coal bed you may need to burn the coals down more before loading or rake them forward to avoid having the new load catch and go up all at once.

Shutting down the air earlier can slow the burn and help to limit peak temps.

Large splits are better as well and you can also load sideways (East/West) rather than N/S which changes the way the air penetrates the load.

How tall would estimate the chimney to be? You may be over-drafting in which case a key damper may be in order.

===
I did the dollar bill test earlier this am.. doesn't seem to be an issue... I have done that in the past with the BK

I have decided to switch new one out with old BK Princess.. yes is a cat stove... needs work on the part just below the chimney pipe. my main reason to switch back? Would love to have a new one, but just not in the cards financially..

I heat my house with wood.>> have for 30 years.. at this point in life, I am not at all interested in dealing with a wood stove that has an 8 hour burn time. I live in the middle of nowhere.. sometimes when I go to town, I am gone a long time because I don't do it too often.. no fun coming home to a cold house.. not to mention the possibility of frozen water pipes.

ps.. I did pick up a chimney thermometer yesterday.. manual; says should run 350°...

OK well you said the BK was broken and couldn't run overnight and were looking for comments/advice about how to get more out of the Timberwolf.

Is the BK back to running overnight, are you going to return the Timberwolf to the CAC?

UPDATE: I have the blaze king back in the house. Even though it has issues, it's 1000% a better stove than the timberwolf. The timberwolf is in my garage.
CAC doesn't want the timberwolf. They wish I hadn't allowed the heating ac outfit to install it.

I am happy, even though I need a new stove. I am going to save what I can. It's hard on disability. My goal is to save up to replace the princess with a pellet stove, as finding quality firewood is getting tougher every year.

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam