Replace Heatilator EC42 With Better System.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmike

Oct 13, 2014
michigan
Hello everyone.
My wife and I are purchasing a home next month that has a wood burning Heatilator EC42 factory fireplace in it.

We want to be able to install some kind of wood burning unit that will supplement the 1800-2000 square feet of living space in the home (currently heated with propane).

After doing hours of reading online, I'm not convinced on what we should do.

The Heatilator manual shows the use of double walled 8inch pipe UL 127 which i understand to be rated for lower temperatures, so my thought was to drop a 6 inch chimney liner down it and select a proper fireplace or insert.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installmanuals/17339.pdf

Put after reading about inserts, I'm don't know if they have to be used with masonry fireplaces only. Then I started reading about Zero Clearance fireplaces and now I'm totally lost.

There must be thousands of houses with this same exact set up, but I can't find a definitive path to quality heat!

I'm attaching a picture of the current fireplace for what it's worth.

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can fit/replace a new heat source that would actually save me some money?
Mike

Attachments

• Replace Heatilator EC42 With Better System.
    214062222_3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 427
You are rightfully confused as what you are trying to do is kind of a grey area in the UL-listing. Most ZC fireplaces do not allow the installation of a fireplace in them unless they have specifically tested together. On the other hand, quite a few fireplace inserts have in their UL-listing that they can be installed in a ZC fireplace. It is essentially up to the local code authority, the home insurance, and the homeowner whether they ok the install or not. I feel, a better and safer way of using the existing fireplace is to put a hearth-mounted, rear-vented stove in front of it and run a liner down the chimney and connect it to a short horizontal run from the stove. The height of the fireplace opening (measured from the hearth) and the depth of the hearth will be critical for that kind of installation. While it will take up more space, you will also get additional benefits besides having a safer install: More radiant heat, often the ability to put a larger stove in, a cooking surface during power outages, and no need for a blower.

I have a superior BR42 with a Jotul 350 insert in it. The BR42 is a prefab zero clearance.

EC SERIES INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING!
This fireplace and its components are designed to be installed and operated as a system. Any alteration to or
substitution for items in this system, unless allowed by these installation instructions, will void the Underwrit-
ers Laboratories listing and may void the product warranty. It may also create a hazardous installation. Read
through these instructions thoroughly before starting your installation and follow them carefully throughout
your project

Some heatilators allow inserts but i cant find anything in the instructions for yours allowing it and this statement means at least how i look at it that inserts are not allowed in your unit

And rsnovi you may have an insert installed in your fp but superior is very clear about whether or not it is allowed.

Do not alter or modify the fireplace or its components under any
circumstances. Any modification or alteration of the fireplace system,
including but not limited to the fireplace, chimney components and
accessories, may void the warranty, listings and approvals of this system
and could result in an unsafe and potentially dangerous installation.

DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other
products not specified herein by the manufac-
turer for use with this fireplace. All gas log sets
must be operated with the damper clamped
open, including unlisted “vent free” log sets.
Listed “vent-free” log sets may be operated
with the damper closed.

My insert is in a Heatilator A36R, I believe, and it works great. It was installed by a local reputable stove shop. We had a Quadrafire in a zero clearance fireplace in our last house. I would consult your local stove shop. Get the biggest one you can.

The manual for my insert says this:
"The factory-built fireplace must be listed per UL 127 or ULC S610."

The manual for your zc fireplace says this:
"This fireplace system has been tested and listed in accordance with UL 127 and ULC-S610 standards, and has been listed by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. for installation and operation in the United States and Canada as described in this manual."

Consult your local stove shops.

And rsnovi you may have an insert installed in your fp but superior is very clear about whether or not it is allowed.

Do not alter or modify the fireplace or its components under any
circumstances. Any modification or alteration of the fireplace system,
including but not limited to the fireplace, chimney components and
accessories, may void the warranty, listings and approvals of this system
and could result in an unsafe and potentially dangerous installation.

DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other
products not specified herein by the manufac-
turer for use with this fireplace. All gas log sets
must be operated with the damper clamped
open, including unlisted “vent free” log sets.
Listed “vent-free” log sets may be operated
with the damper closed.

This does not say it can't be done in my interpretation. It says not to install unless specified. My dealer sells both Jotul and Lennox who now own Superior.

He verified with both manufacturers that this was an acceptable install.

Enough of this. It's sounding like the old days of Elk's intractable dogma. We're here to help and inform, not to dictate. If the stove manual, your inspector and insurance is ok with the installation, then approval is documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.