Removing old tape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I have some packing tape that’s been attached to sheet metal for something like 10 years. I’ve finally been inspired to remove it.

I’ve tried acetone and goof off as solvents and scraping with a razor blade. All of them work, but slower than id like.

Is there anything else I should try before I try a random orbit sander or a propane torch?

I've found that lacquer thinner works
Also some nail polish removers Not all

I'm frankly surprised acetone didn't do it. I usually start with Goo Gone, then progress to Goof Off, and eventually Lacquer Thinner. But I thought acetone and Lacquer Thinner were nearly exchangeable, in this regard.

When all else fails... MEK! That stuff will take white off rice.

Oooh, MEK… paint stripper!

The acetone did do it, but I think the plastic of the tape kept it at the edges, so I had to fight it. Maybe a bit of sanding will cut the plastic enough that the acetone can get to the glue.

Reactions: Ashful
I have some packing tape that’s been attached to sheet metal for something like 10 years. I’ve finally been inspired to remove it.

I’ve tried acetone and goof off as solvents and scraping with a razor blade. All of them work, but slower than id like.

Is there anything else I should try before I try a random orbit sander or a propane torch?
Paint thinner or isopropyl alcohol (>90%) would be what I would try. I think acetone evaporates too fast to really help much. Let it sit for a minute or two before scraping at it.