Removed wood stove trying to restore fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tikitim

Aug 19, 2017
TN
Bought a house at the beginning of this year, and trying to restore the fireplace after removing a wood stove insert. I know that there is some sort of air circulating system to heat the rest of the house and that's about all I know. I'm trying to figure out the back of the bottom and how to put a grate to hold the logs.

Also looking for info for front doors.

Thanks!

Removed wood stove trying to restore fireplace.Removed wood stove trying to restore fireplace.Removed wood stove trying to restore fireplace.Removed wood stove trying to restore fireplace.

Reactions: Michael Sean
That looks like a good fireplace. You can tell it has had a lot of use, yet I see no cracking in the fire bricks.
Also, the way the side walls are at an angle, that will throw a lot of heat into the room. I see it has a chimney top damper, those work well if it is high quality. Check it closely if there is a problem replace it.

I don't use a grate with my fireplace don't see a need for it.

Also I don't have doors. They do block a lot of radiant heat, and they don't look good.

Fire that bad boy up and give it a try! That mason knew what he was doing.

i'd suggest getting it inspected by a certified sweep before you fire it up. they can tell you if everything is in proper working order and be able to give you advice on anything else you want to add to it.

http://www.csia.org/search.html

That looks like a good fireplace. You can tell it has had a lot of use, yet I see no cracking in the fire bricks.
Also, the way the side walls are at an angle, that will throw a lot of heat into the room. I see it has a chimney top damper, those work well if it is high quality. Check it closely if there is a problem replace it.

I don't use a grate with my fireplace don't see a need for it.

Also I don't have doors. They do block a lot of radiant heat, and they don't look good.

Fire that bad boy up and give it a try! That mason knew what he was doing.
How can you possibly say fire it up? It obviously had a slammer in it and is a mess and possibly had chimney fires ect ect. It needs a full inspection before even thinking about a fire.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Bought a house at the beginning of this year, and trying to restore the fireplace after removing a wood stove insert. I know that there is some sort of air circulating system to heat the rest of the house and that's about all I know.

I wouldn't expect it to heat anything but the area in front of it. It's an open fireplace. You will go through a lot of wood just doing that. Doors will help, but not a lot. It will probably make adjoining rooms cooler, not warmer. And did I mention you will go through a lot of wood?

Reactions: bholler
I had a certified professional out to inspect and clean it, only problem was that he had never seen a setup quite like this. Just would like to know more about this setup before I use it. I have had fireplaces in the past so I am familiar with how much they do (or don't) heat the room and I'm fine with that.