Remote Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

petehouk

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Am I the only one who wants a remote control for the blower on my insert? I bought one of those universal remote controls and it operates the stereo and the TV and the DVD. The only thing I can't operate with it is the blower on my insert...I should be able to do this...somehow...

what about a clapper? You know... Clap on.... Clap off.

The Clapper. Awesome idea.

I was hoping for something more elegant though. I would like to be able to dial the fan down, not just turn it on and off. But the Clapper idea got me to thinking. Maybe I can find a wall mounted rheostat with a remote control. Originally, I was just thinking about stove-mounted hardware.

Should work fine, something like the above, there are lots of them out there. Then just learn the remote codes from it's remote to your universal remote, and the same TV/DVD player remote will also control the fan. ;)

Ceiling fan remote kit will work fine. That's what I did. Don't use a dimmer thats meant for incandescent lights.

Ceiling fan remote kit will work fine. That's what I did. Don't use a dimmer thats meant for incandescent lights.

Good point!! Make sure the dimmer is rated for an "appliance".

If you want something that utilizes your existing infrared remote you will want to look into something like(broken link removed to http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLinc-Receiver-IR-to-INSTEON-Converter/p.aspx)

(broken image removed)

Why does it matter if it's for incandescent lights? How does it know what it's plugged into?

I'm not questioning whether or not you are correct about this because I sure don't know. Just wondering why it matters.

Why does it matter if it's for incandescent lights? How does it know what it's plugged into?

I'm not questioning whether or not you are correct about this because I sure don't know. Just wondering why it matters.
I think the wrong thing will wreck your fan.

A light dimmer is designed to handle a resistive load. The fan controller is made for an inductive load. Yes you would burn out your fan motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.