Regency I3100L insert used questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all. I have a few questions. I was planning putting a little Avalon Pendelton stove in the basement of my trilevel but I have been thinking or looking at bigger used stoves. I found a Regency I3100L near me for 800 bucks it looks nice and to be in good shape. It was purchased in 1996. If I looked it up correctly the flue flange is 6" the same size as the Avalon. Will this bigger stove be worth the up grade? And is 800 too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have to visually inspect the firebox & outer body for overfiring.
The secondary air tubes should be straight.
The body around the door opening should be free of cracks & warpage.
$800 is probably too high for a 23 year-old unit. I'd offer 1/2 that.

How would it preform compared to a Avalon pedelton. That's what I have and was going to install then I found this and thought it would work alot better

How would it preform compared to a Avalon pedelton. That's what I have and was going to install then I found this and thought it would work alot better

What is the BTU rating of the Avalon?
The I3100L is rated at 80K.
Weight is probably about 300 lbs.

You will have to visually inspect the firebox & outer body for overfiring.
The secondary air tubes should be straight.
The body around the door opening should be free of cracks & warpage.
$800 is probably too high for a 23 year-old unit. I'd offer 1/2 that.

What's the best way to inspect it.

Flashlight. Look at the inside of the firebox & look at the corners of the opening,
BEHIND the door...