Regency HI200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
It has been some time since I have been on and sold off the old wood stove and insert I acquired to fund new projects. With the recent week of weather I am back on the lookout for a used stove for the basement. It is a large hearth that takes up most of the wall and has 16.5 extension. However it is a really small and shallow firebox so I have limitations there.

The basement finished portion is about 700 SQ feet and has stairs up about 15ft away. I tried to get a wood fire going on New Years and with 9 deg tempts I had such a bad downdraft or negative pressure that the smoke was coming back in. Glad I didn't light the main fuel source, I was just heating the flue but could not get it to draw at all. I have had issues with negative pressure but never burning downstairs only upstairs and coming down the other flue.

Anyway - Found a used Regency HI200 that is 7 years old and free of damage and looks to be lightly used. They are asking $800 so I thought that was a decent price. Thoughts on this unit? Just looking for supplemental heat to heat the basement and hopefully have some assistance upstairs.

I will have to invest a lot in a liner because it is about 42' from the top of the chimney to the basement....I think thats what the sweep measured. Its an exterior wall with two independent flues.

It's a nice solid little stove, but it will not solve the negative pressure issue at all.

I️ kind of figures that. The thing is, I️ have burned downstairs without issue in the past.

I️ burn upstairs most of the time and 25% of the time there is a little smoke in the basement. Don’t know how to fix this yet but I️ was originally going to get a top sealing damper for the basement flu to keep the smoke and smell out when burning upstairs. Thinking at least a sealed insert could accomplish that.

Never had an issue like the other night getting a fire going in the basement but it was warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking all morning at negative pressure and I dont know where to start. I will continue to work on that. It has been some time since I measured the flue tile up top but given that this is an outside masonry chimney, plus the above average length of the flue to the top, I will want an insulated liner to help drafting. Is this correct?

**I measured and from the top of the flue tile to the top of the damper it is 35'. Will likely need a 40' liner and cut down I suppose?

Begreen,
It's a nice solid little stove, but it will not solve the negative pressure issue at all.

Last edited:
Yes, the liner should be insulated. It sounds like the stove will need an outside air connection too.

Good Afternoon. I picked up the insert yesterday and it looks to be lightly used given that it was manufactured in October 2008. I have a few bricks to replace and will be looking around locally to see if I can find them since it appears that you cannot get them online without buying the complete set for $100.

The dual fan currently has the power cord mounted on the left side of the housing and I want to switch the cord to the mount on the right side. I was messing with it last night and could not get the clip unlatched and I did not want to break it. Does anyone know how to remove the clip and move over to the other side. It does not state how to do it in the manual.