red cedar log resawing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
One of my coworkers has a very large aromatic red cedar log I have expressed interest in for the purpose of resawing it. The bottom looks to be a little bit over 2' in diameter and is 16-20' of mostly straight trunk. What sizes of slabs should I resaw this down into? I have no immediate use for it so it is likely to sit for a few years but don't want to pass up on the opportunity.

I would find a wood forum for that question. Ive come across a few but dont remember offhand.
That sounds like a nice sized cedar.
Or call the closest sawmill.
I have 2 close friends who own Wood Mizers and I have no clue what they rough cut at.

It really depends on the final product you want. The first cuts will be rough cuts. Just make sure they are thick enough for final planing. Add 50% to the final thickness as a gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.