Rear-load stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

waterbird

Oct 29, 2023
Tennessee
Hello, All, I'm in floor planning stage for building my family home and wondering if there is such a thing as a rear-loading stove.

I heated exclusively with wood for 10 years and love the toasty stove, but not the mess of wood particles all over the living room. So I want to put the stove close to an opening in a (fireproof) wall and feed it from the mudroom, yet still be able to have the front visible from the living room (so an end-loader isn't right). Something like a Vermont Castings Apsen with a rear door would be perfect for loading long-ways: https://forgenflame.com/products/vermont-castings-aspen-c3-wood-stove

I may be the only one with this wish, but if it does exist someone here may know.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Never seen one.

I bring wood into the house in an enclosed box. I knock the loose bits off the splits as I stack them in the box. There's very little that falls off them between the box next to the stove and the stove, and that's easily swept off the hearth with a small brush and dust bin or vaccummed up with a hand held vacuum.

Wood is messy. It's well worth the mess. It's dry mess and can easily be swept or vacuumed.

Interesting idea tho, that back loading stove...

Reactions: ozarkoak
Even if you found one, then you would be locked into finding one again someday when the original needs replacement. With EPA certifications, the number of stove designs sold on the US market is going to go down so niche models like this are just not going to be made. Stoves with glass need a fairly careful design with air wash on the glass otherwise it will turn black quickly.

IMHO, stick with a standard layout. Just realize some folks are not cut out for wood burning. In some areas premium grade firewood is available that has been cut on processor and run through a debarker drum, that really cleans up the wood. Ideally the kiln dry the wood first and then debark. Some locals call that "ski lodge wood". The local supplier cuts from log length with firewood processor and then it goes through a tumble drum to knock off any loose bark and dirt. The logs he buys are quite clean to begin with. Nice uniforms splits and clean but not much cost savings compared to oil.

Never seen one except for some sauna stoves. Maybe look up Kuuma sauna stoves?

Back in the 1800s there were kachelofens made this way. Often, the masonry heater would be on the bedroom side and the loading took place in the back which might be in a common room. No fire view with this setup.

If you have beaucoup bucks and are building from scratch perhaps the engineers at Tulikivi could create this design.

Hello, All, I'm in floor planning stage for building my family home and wondering if there is such a thing as a rear-loading stove.

I heated exclusively with wood for 10 years and love the toasty stove, but not the mess of wood particles all over the living room. So I want to put the stove close to an opening in a (fireproof) wall and feed it from the mudroom, yet still be able to have the front visible from the living room (so an end-loader isn't right). Something like a Vermont Castings Apsen with a rear door would be perfect for loading long-ways: https://forgenflame.com/products/vermont-castings-aspen-c3-wood-stove

I may be the only one with this wish, but if it does exist someone here may know.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes - Have a look at the HUUM wood fired stove range - They have an SL model which allows for external loading. They're quite expensive though!

Yes - Have a look at the HUUM wood fired stove range - They have an SL model which allows for external loading. They're quite expensive though!
Is that a sauna stove?

Thanks for the suggestion. The manual says the stones are "required", and I'm not really looking for a sauna look in my living room. It does load through a wall! But it has no glass view window on the inside of the room. From the OBJ file:
HUUM 17 LS.jpg
Sad.

I don't think this is permissible for residential use in the home.

There is the Invicta Aaron, which is a 36" wide double door stove, but more like wood burning fireplace with a baffle system. It's made in France but sold here. It needs about 2 ft side clearances. Any closer framing would need to be entirely non-combustible.

Last edited: