Realistic insert burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
EBT = Extended Burn Technology patented by Pacific Energy used in the larger Summit class, Neo, and now Super 27 & Super Classic as well as Alderlea T5 & T6 models. To my knowledge because of the patent no other stove manufacturer can use this.

Reactions: creek chub and Dix
My burn times are relative to outside temp, wind, quality of fuel. I didn't see where anyone compared burn times to outside temp .

Reactions: creek chub
I rarely see less than the 20's were I live I usually run the stoves on low all the time.

My burn times are relative to outside temp, wind, quality of fuel. I didn't see where anyone compared burn times to outside temp .
But that is not only due to stove performance, but also due to home specifics; if a home is poorly insulated, burn times go down much faster when it gets colder (assuming the same inside temp is desired regardless of outside temps). I.e. my burn time at 20 F may be different than yours, not only due to the system (flue set up), but also because of different heat loss rates from the homes.

This makes "burn times" an issue fraught with complicating factors.

I would say that if one is not able to at least get 2/3 of the advertised burning time in weather that is not extreme, then something may be wrong and it's worth looking into.
So if one is getting 2 hrs of usable heat out of a stove/insert that is advertised to have 6-8, I'd look into the issue.

As colder dryer air sets in to your area your chimney draft will increase accordingly, as draft increases so does your wood consumption as more heat is getting sucked up your chimney via stronger draft, burn times do get shorter because of it and more frequent refilling is required.. The colder it it gets the more this phenomenon predominates.

As colder dryer air sets in to your area your chimney draft will increase accordingly, as draft increases so does your wood consumption as more heat is getting sucked up your chimney via stronger draft, burn times do get shorter because of it and more frequent refilling is required.. The colder it it gets the more this phenomenon predominates.
Yes, that too. But this again depends - on what stove you have. Stoves with thermostats do tend to mitigate this; if draft increases my stove closes the air inlet automatically more because increased draft means more heat produced which means the thermostat closes the air.

Yes, that too. But this again depends - on what stove you have. Stoves with thermostats do tend to mitigate this; if draft increases my stove closes the air inlet automatically more because increased draft means more heat produced which means the thermostat closes the air.
Wither you have a manual air inlet shutdown or automatic thermostat type all EPA approved wood stoves since the 90's must allow a minimal amount of air in to all wood stoves to allow a more complete and efficient burn, at -30° when either system is set to its minimal setting your draft does increase and so does your heat loss up the chimney. 15 - 20 minutes after I start up my Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic it is up to 400° approx, from that point on the air inlet is shutdown slowly over a 10 minute period until it is completely closed to its minimum setting, the stove pipe thermometer then stays at between 400° - 600° depending on the fuel load , wind strength and outside temperature, all things being equal the colder it is outside the hotter the stove burns and of course the shorter the burn times because of the additional daft pull. This applies to all wood stoves but varies by factors such as chimney length, fuel load, quality of wood and outside temps.

Wither you have a manual air inlet shutdown or automatic thermostat type all EPA approved wood stoves since the 90's must allow a minimal amount of air in to all wood stoves to allow a more complete and efficient burn, at -30° when either system is set to its minimal setting your draft does increase and so does your heat loss up the chimney. 15 - 20 minutes after I start up my Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic it is up to 400° approx, from that point on the air inlet is shutdown slowly over a 10 minute period until it is completely closed to its minimum setting, the stove pipe thermometer then stays at between 400° - 600° depending on the fuel load , wind strength and outside temperature, all things being equal the colder it is outside the hotter the stove burns and of course the shorter the burn times because of the additional daft pull. This applies to all wood stoves but varies by factors such as chimney length, fuel load, quality of wood and outside temps.
That is why measuring draft is important and it should optimally be measured when it's cold out. Stoves only work as designed when they are installed as tested.

We don't disagree. I just wanted to point out that there are many more parameters than the temperature dependent draft engine of the stove. And thus that burn time comparisons are a difficult thing.

Reactions: bholler
That is why measuring draft is important and it should optimally be measured when it's cold out. Stoves only work as designed when they are installed as tested.
I am in full agreement, have owned several houses with different stove models and manufacturers in each of them and never had a chimney below 22-25 feet in height, would be nice to have one that was 15-16 feet high. I needed to experiment and learn from every fire I started up, as you will rarely operate under ideal manufacturers conditions or as designed or tested.