RE: First attempt at a holz miete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
This past Sunday was a beautiful Fall day . . . since my wife had worked the overnight and was sleeping I couldn't fire up the saw and splitter so I did the next best thing and stacked some wood . . . decided to try building a holz miete . . . certainly not the best looking one I have seen here or on the web, but I thought it came out OK for my first attempt. Based on this one, I may try another in the near future since it really didn't take up much extra time when compared to stacking a conventional wood pile.

Attachments

• holz miete.jpg
    holz miete.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 770
Another view of the holz miete.

Attachments

• holz miete2.jpg
    holz miete2.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 596
Good work!

And since I was outside taking pics this a.m. I decided to take a pic of the holz miete, a few conventional stacks of wood and the wood I am still working on for 2010-2011.

Attachments

• gotwood.jpg
    gotwood.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 614
And one last picture.

You know you are serious about your firewood when you park the splitter in the garage and the car outside since you're more worried about someone stealing your splitter.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 583
you can always brush the snow off your car.

Be careful not to make the roof too steep - the pieces will slide a little as they season/shrink. and could fall off. Of course the steep roof does make it look more like a cottage.

Uh oh! I see your stacks are under pine trees! You do know that the sap will drip on your hardwood, turn it to pine and clog your chimney, right? :lol:

Looks like one of those Holiday Cheddar Cheese Balls all covered in nuts!

It's a thing of beauty. Way to go.

NIce work for the 1st time building. I may suggest trying to get the top 1/3rd a bit narrower on your 2nd. hh. Keep an eye on the top right side portion, looks like a bit of a bulge there,thats how my 1st an only partial collapse occured. Other than that keep up the good work.

Lookin' good! The steep roof pieces may slide off as it ages, it's fun to watch them as the collapse in on themselves as they season. Is it about 7' diameter?

Man, I love this forum.
I can live vicariously through you guys (&gals;) doing what I only think of doing. Gives me some good ideas too.
Might try one of those next year, AFTER I get 3 years ahead. Won't bother me so much if it falls down.
I've been inspired.
Now, back to my regularly scheduled 3rd cup of coffee.

Dave

’berta Burner said:
Your right Papa, this is inspirational, I think I am gonna try the less acclaimed "heap housezen" as I can't stand stacking

I've already got a heapin'hausen, but none of it is split. The stuff tends to get pretty moldy, so splitting, then stacking seems to be in order.
Stacking is somewhat therapeutic, so It's just a matter of which method. Matter of fact, today I'll be stacking about a face or two if I can get myself away from the coffee drinking exercises I've been doing all morning. Gotta' keep in shape though!
Never know when someone's gonna' need help drinking a pot.

Dave

’berta Burner said:
Your right Papa, this is inspirational, I think I am gonna try the less acclaimed "heap housezen" as I can't stand stacking

You now, you're avatar reminds me of King's "book, "IT". Never have liked clowns much.

Dave

Jake, you have more ambition than I do but you also do good work.

firefighterjake said:
And one last picture.

You know you are serious about your firewood when you park the splitter in the garage and the car outside since you're more worried about someone stealing your splitter.

+1 splitter saws and john deere get the garage

smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:
And one last picture.

+1 splitter saws and john deere get the garage

Pole barn is for the shop, shed with lean-to is for tractor, saw, and splitter.
Jeep is relegated to the driveway. It likes the snow though.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.