Quote for RSF Opel 3 Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyjrobinson

Hearth Supporter
Dec 2, 2008
Southern NH
Just got a quote for my new fireplace - anyone got any comments - high/low/about-right. Obviously I'd get $1500 back from this years tax credit as they have said it qualifies.

RSF Opel 3 wood burning fireplace with single black door: $2467.00
Black louvers: $180.00
Circulating blower: $295.00
*Unit total: $2942.00

Parts list to vent this unit
(7) 48'' length of 7'' class a chimney pipe $276.00 ea
(1) 24'' length '' '' $155.00
(1) 12'' length '' '' $93.00
(1) 15 degree elbow $137.00
(1) Roof support $62.00
(2) Fire stops $ 60 ea
(1) Rain cap $71.00
(1) Storm collar $38.00
*Parts total: $2608.00

Labor: Remove existing ZC unit, including 30' of existing chimney and install Opel 3 + new chimney - $1200

Does not include finishing - mantel/columns etc.

UPDATE: For others considering an Open III.

We're all installed with an Open III, we went with the most plain/contemporary black rectangle look, no stonework. We think it looks pretty good with top & bottom louvers - no vent pipes as it isn't really possible for our retro-fit, but I would definitely consider them if we could have had them. We use a ceiling fan and then run the upstairs A/C fan to circulate the hot air around the house.

Performance-wise, the thing is an animal - it pumps out soooo much heat, and in terms of efficiency I can't compare it to other modern stoves, but we have seen a pretty large drop in how much wood we're putting into the thing - in our old open fronted ZC unit we would bring in 5-6 baskets over a full days burn - with this fireplace, it is probably 2, maybe 3 at most. Right now we're learning to use it, and we have yet to burn in the very cold months. We need to learn how to burn small fires in it also, so far we've been enjoying the big fire effect! The 2nd-stage burn works really well - just get the fire running really hot, and a nice inch of embers on the fire bottom, then crank it down, and the 'northern lights' effect appears. Also got a blower, which I thought was broken to begin with, but it doesn't come for a long time unless you get the fire very hot very quickly.

I did install an outside air kit - which is really great, I would seriously recommend it. Without this you'll be pulling the warm air from your home into the combustion box. The fireplace has a slider, that allows you to switch between outside or inside air, so if the OAK didn't work for you, then it is easy to switch back - but once you're installed you can't add one later - I think it was less than $50 in parts for this.

d.

Retail Price: $2,598.00
RF-FOOPLB - BLACK LOUVER ASSEMBLY - OPEL AP & OPEL 2 (ONE REQUIRED)
Retail Price: $192.00
RF-FOFDHB5N - BLOWER - INTERNAL - OPEL AP, OPEL 2, DELTA, DELTA 2 & ONYX AP
Retail Price: $315.00

That ICC 7" pipe is expensive. Should be gold plated.

Are you heart set on another fireplace or would you consider a nice freestander with a great view window sitting on a nice hearth instead? Could save some bucks here and should heat better, especially when the power's out.

yep. 7" pipe is to rare too be cheap lol. Thats the one reason i dont push RSF as much as i should.

That's very close to what we would charge in western Wisconsin.You would probably want 2, 15 degree elbows and offset support. How about flashing or chase top.

Thanks all, it seems the price is right - yes the 7" pipe is expensive, especially given the height of our chase, but ho hum. From everything I read, people are very happy with RSF Open units. I'd like to stick with my installer (they have a great reputation - Sons Chimney - Milford, NH), and now I know their prices are about on par.

Not sure if anything else is needed for the install - this is their itemized list, and they've been and ripped out the old unit already, so it is on them if they've missed something.

Will let you know the results. Time to order a stack of wood (yes, I know I'm probably a little late, but didn't finally decide until earlier this week!).

D.

I've collect three quotes over the past couple of weeks. The best one follows and is from Indianapolis.

Opel III - $2329
Clean face kit - $205
Central heat blower - $554
Central heat control - $205
7" chimney, 4' - $268
Radiation shield - $55
Flashing - $130
Storm collar - $35
Deluxe rain cap and screen - $94
Elbows - $165
Brace kit - $79

Thanks again.

Last question - I hear different things about Outside Air Kits, but I thinking of having one installed with the fireplace. I don't want any drafts across my floors, and my house is only 5 years old and averagely well sealed. Does anyone have an opinion on this, I was generally of the mindset that my fireplace should burn fresh air and not suck the air out of my house that I've already paid to heat.

UPDATE: For others considering an Open III.
We’re all installed with an Open III, we went with the most plain/contemporary black rectangle look, no stonework. We think it looks pretty good with top & bottom louvers - no vent pipes as it isn’t really possible for our retro-fit, but I would definitely consider them if we could have had them. We use a ceiling fan and then run the upstairs A/C fan to circulate the hot air around the house.

Performance-wise, the thing is an animal - it pumps out soooo much heat, and in terms of efficiency I can’t compare it to other modern stoves, but we have seen a pretty large drop in how much wood we’re putting into the thing - in our old open fronted ZC unit we would bring in 5-6 baskets over a full days burn - with this fireplace, it is probably 2, maybe 3 at most. Right now we’re learning to use it, and we have yet to burn in the very cold months. We need to learn how to burn small fires in it also, so far we’ve been enjoying the big fire effect! The 2nd-stage burn works really well - just get the fire running really hot, and a nice inch of embers on the fire bottom, then crank it down, and the ‘northern lights’ effect appears. Also got a blower, which I thought was broken to begin with, but it doesn’t come for a long time unless you get the fire very hot very quickly.

I did install an outside air kit - which is really great, I would seriously recommend it. Without this you’ll be pulling the warm air from your home into the combustion box. The fireplace has a slider, that allows you to switch between outside or inside air, so if the OAK didn’t work for you, then it is easy to switch back - but once you’re installed you can’t add one later - I think it was less than $50 in parts for this.

Forgot to say that I also added an Ash Pan - holds 3+ fires worth - very easy to clean out.

d.

Those prices seem pretty fair to me. I'm sure you could find someone to do it a little cheaper if you run here and there, try to buy your own pipe, etc. If you have a good feeling about this dealer, I would go with them. Something about one stop shopping with a firm you trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.