Quote for new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vanessah88

Jul 24, 2017
California
Hi,

We bought a house in December in the woods. I loved our old wood stove but it isn't up to code and needs to be replaced (blah)!. So we got a quote for a new one, but I was a little baffled over the price, is that really what you can expect to have it replaced? $4600?

Thank you!

Quote for new wood stove Quote for new wood stove

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

We bought a house in December in the woods. I loved our old wood stove but it isn't up to code and needs to be replaced (blah)!. So we got a quote for a new one, but I was a little baffled over the price, is that really what you can expect to have it replaced? $4600?

Thank you!

Did they do a site inspection before providing a quote? Because the bid is for new stove pipe and new chimney (but they don't specify which pipe they will supply). If they go "straight up" from existing hearth pad, there will be a hole where the old chimney was. I'm thinking there is a reason the original install didn't go straight up.

Is there a reason you can't use the existing chimney?

Reactions: Vanessah88
Looks like an early Avalon stove. Do you know the model (should be on the back label)? The price is not bad, but I also wonder why the quote for complete replacement of the stovepipe and chimney? Original chimney looks like it's 8". Is that why? Did they find the current chimney system defective or is it being relocated? If relocating there will be an additional cost for patch and repair.

Lopi is not the only stove that would work there if you are trying to save some money.

Reactions: Vanessah88
Looks like an early Avalon stove. Do you know the model (should be on the back label)? The price is not bad, but I also wonder why the quote for complete replacement of the stovepipe and chimney? Original chimney looks like it's 8". Is that why? Did they find the current chimney system defective or is it being relocated? If relocating there will be an additional cost for patch and repair.

Lopi is not the only stove that would work there if you are trying to save some money.

I posted the inspection report. It is a Avalon AVH 1000

Sorry you're not closer. I have the Avalon equivalent of the Lopi Endeavor that will be needing a home. You might ask for pricing on the Avalon Rainier, it should be less than the Lopi. Also check for local pricing on the Pacific Energy Super 27 (or Spectrum).

I posted the inspection report. It is a Avalon AVH 1000

Did they inspect the attic to insure it was feasible to go straight up? Did they discuss the removal and disposal of the old chimney and patching of the roof/ceilings?

It's not going to be cheap unless you can do it yourself.

Not sure if there is an attic, looks like that might be a cathedral ceiling support box. If downsizing from triple-wall 8" pipe to 6" class A, there is going to need to be some patching to do and/or an oversized flashing.

Not sure if there is an attic, looks like that might be a cathedral ceiling support box. If downsizing from triple-wall 8" pipe to 6" class A, there is going to need to be some patching to do and/or an oversized flashing.

Maybe it's a cathedral ceiling. The next question is why the original flue is offset.

I wish I had an answer on all your questions, but I really don't yet. But I added one more pic on how it looks now, it has been working for 30 years so not sure why he would have to redo it. I just think they would replace the old pipe?

Excuse the mess in the picture.

Attachments

• Quote for new wood stove
    Screenshot_20170725-180242.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 203
I wish I had an answer on all your questions, but I really don't yet. But I added one more pic on how it looks now, it has been working for 30 years so not sure why he would have to redo it. I just think they would replace the old pipe?

Excuse the mess in the picture.
Just because it has worked does not mean it is safe or that it even worked well

A pre epa stove is going to work easier with less draft. The Lopi Endeavor will want a better config. for better draft, especially if the chimney is not too tall. If you are going to stick with just making the existing chimney work (with recommended fixes) then you may want a stove that is less critical of draft strength like an Enviro or Pacific Energy stove.

Hi,

Thank you!

View attachment 198783 View attachment 198784
I know this is a long shot but you don't happen to still have the manual for this stove? We bought a home with this stove installed and I want to read the manual to make sure we are operating it correctly.