Questions about Cats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Anicole

Dec 29, 2020
Tyler123
Hey y'all. I have been looking around for a used stove for a couple of years now. I've seen advice on here to go a little bigger than you need when looking for a wood stove, as you can always make a smaller fire in a big stove. Does this advice hold true if the stove has a catalytic combustor? I live in the south and some days are just not that cold. Is it best to avoid a cat in this case? Thanks!

It’s the opposite of what you think. Cat stoves are best at low output so you can really turn them down in warm weather. I burn clear through June in the same cat stove that can roast us out at single digit outside temperatures.

There are lots of brand new cat stove designs that haven’t proven themselves yet so be careful with your choice.

Hey y'all. I have been looking around for a used stove for a couple of years now. I've seen advice on here to go a little bigger than you need when looking for a wood stove, as you can always make a smaller fire in a big stove. Does this advice hold true if the stove has a catalytic combustor? I live in the south and some days are just not that cold. Is it best to avoid a cat in this case? Thanks!
Depends on what type of stove. Generally many of the older catalytic stoves used the cat to clean up emissions. Really low burn rate may or may not have been a feature.

Being a fellow southerner I really like to use my heatpump anytime it’s warmer than 45. O

Reactions: Pattonky
Being a fellow southerner I really like to use my heatpump anytime it’s warmer than 45. O
Likewise, says the northwesterner. (Well, at least my sister lives in the south. )

Depends on what type of stove. Generally many of the older catalytic stoves used the cat to clean up emissions. Really low burn rate may or may not have been a feature.

I really don't want to use my heating system at all, it doesn't work that well and it's expensive. Plus I just love a wood fire.
I am asking the question mainly because a Jotul firelight #12 was just listed near me. But also I have been avoiding stoves with a cat on the assumption that it wouldn't be great if we don't always want a hot fire burning all day.

It’s the opposite of what you think. Cat stoves are best at low output so you can really turn them down in warm weather. I burn clear through June in the same cat stove that can roast us out at single digit outside temperatures.

There are lots of brand new cat stove designs that haven’t proven themselves yet so be careful with your choice.
Oh interesting. I am asking because a Jotul firelight #12 was just listed near me. I was under the impression you needed to keep the fire upto a certain temp and the cat engaged when burning?

Oh interesting. I am asking because a Jotul firelight #12 was just listed near me. I was under the impression you needed to keep the fire upto a certain temp and the cat engaged when burning?
While it is good looking, that was not the best operating cat stove. If it is not in perfect operating condition, it could be a headache. Also, it has parts that are no longer available. This makes repairs difficult unless there is another for spare parts. The best cat stoves to keep an eye out for will be Blaze King, Buck, Kuma, and Woodstock.

Reactions: Highbeam
However, cats love stoves.

Biscuit by stove.jpg

I really don't want to use my heating system at all, it doesn't work that well and it's expensive. Plus I just love a wood fire.
I am asking the question mainly because a Jotul firelight #12 was just listed near me. But also I have been avoiding stoves with a cat on the assumption that it wouldn't be great if we don't always want a hot fire burning all day.
How are you installing once you get a stove? New chimney, old chimney etc.

I really don't want to use my heating system at all, it doesn't work that well and it's expensive.
Like these guys say, running a heat pump when you don't need the wood stove is the way to go. Less polluting for one thing, plus they're cheap to run. But they might be a bit pricey up front, and it sounds like you may be looking to conserve cash right now, if you're looking at used stoves.
We have no backup heat here now, just the stove, but I aim to get a mini-split heat/AC unit in here soon. You never know when you may have to take a hiatus from burning wood...
also I have been avoiding stoves with a cat on the assumption that it wouldn't be great if we don't always want a hot fire burning all day I was under the impression you needed to keep the fire upto a certain temp and the cat engaged when burning?
Once you get the stove hot enough, keep some flame going, close the bypass and light the cat for some period of minutes, you can then cut the air low, the cat will keep burning and the stove will put out low heat for the duration of the burn.

I've seen advice on here to go a little bigger than you need when looking for a wood stove, as you can always make a smaller fire in a big stove. I live in the south and some days are just not that cold.
If that's Tyler, TX, that's pretty mild weather most of the time. The rare occasions when you get a cold snap, you can use another heat source like your furnace, an electric heater, etc. You really don't need to oversize the stove to handle frequent cold snaps, as needed further north.
If your place has fair insulation, I might consider a smaller non-cat stove rather than oversizing. You can run a robust, cleaner burn in a smaller stove yet still not overheat the place, especially if you have some lower-output woods that you can select, and burn partial loads. Then, if your house holds heat OK, you can ride that heat off a small fire for many hours in average weather.
I'd consider the non-cat since they are easy to run, have fewer moving parts and are easier to maintain. I've run almost all cat stoves in the past, but a few years back got a non-cat stove for one of my SILs, a Pacific Energy. Great stove...quality build and simple design. Next stove I consider will probably be a non-cat.
I steered a friend towards PE and he decided on a Vista, their small stove. Can't wait to get out there and watch him run it! 😀

On the other hand, a BK can turn down to the output of 3.5 electric space heaters (of the standard 1.5 kW variety) - and keep that output steady for 30 hrs (if installed with an appropriate chimney).

There are a (very) few other stoves that can do so too, I understood, but I don't remember which ones.

On the other hand, a BK can turn down to the output of 3.5 electric space heaters (of the standard 1.5 kW variety) - and keep that output steady for 30 hrs (if installed with an appropriate chimney).

There are a (very) few other stoves that can do so too, I understood, but I don't remember which ones.
That's the other side of the coin in cat vs. non; If you have to be away at work for 10 or 12 hrs. a day, or want to save someone else who might be there the trouble of loading/running the stove, the long, low cat burn may be attractive. And the BK thermostat takes automatic to the next level..I usually open the air on my non-thermo cat a little toward the end of the burn to keep the stove top over 300 for a while longer.
Now maybe you don't wanna waste time tending a stove when there are so many more important things to do...like posting on internet chat boards. 😏 I'm willing to sacrifice a little time and trouble, for other things I want in a stove.
But I'll tell ya, the non-cat PE I got for my SIL will go a looong time and still be throwing off substantial heat from the coals. And that's only the mid-sized 2.1 c.f. box. Not sure if the post-2020 models are as renowned for long burn times, but they did put the EBT on the new mid-size Super box, so maybe they are..
I'm not gone at work a long time, and my wife doesn't mind feeding the stove if needed/wanted, so a non-cat is looking pretty good to me going forward, if I buy another stove.
Everyone's needs and wants are different; That's why there are so many choices here in "Stove World." 😃

Last edited: