Question on Kevin's install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2006
I was looking at the pictures of Kevin's stove & chimney installation and his insulation guard got me thinking that all of the things that I have read on chimneys is that you will have a better draw if the chimney can be kept inside the envelope of the house. Would going ahead and framing in around the chimney pipe going up in the attic and insulating this help with draw and less creosote formation?

rdrcr56 said:
I was looking at the pictures of Kevin's stove & chimney installation and his insulation guard got me thinking that all of the things that I have read on chimneys is that you will have a better draw if the chimney can be kept inside the envelope of the house. Would going ahead and framing in around the chimney pipe going up in the attic and insulating this help with draw and less creosote formation?

Hummm. good question, I'd like to hear the pros comment, but here are my thoughts. I'm sure they will be around to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the question of boxing in the whole chimney and insulating it is not too much of a concern for my particular set up. I don't think there would be much measurable benefit in terms of increasing draw and reducing cresote formation. My understanding is that the set up you are talking about has to do when the chimney leaves the home through the side wall of the home and extends a long distance to reach the appropriate height above the roof. If this were the case, it would be of great benefit to enclose the chimney in an insulated chase. Attic spaces are going to be warmer than the outside air, I haven't measured my attic temperature, but I'm sure it's warmer. Perhaps if I had a steep pitched roof where the exposure was going to be 10 feet or something, then a chase may be a good idea. As it stands, there's only roughly 5-6 feet of chimney in my attic.

So the long and short of it is, would it be better... maybe, but probably not significant enough to justify an insulated chase in my attic.

-Kevin

I was thinking that the temp of the attic is close to outside temp so would closing in the whole run of the flue help to maintaine high temps thus reducing creosote formation. Just maybe a little added benifit of extended sweeping intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.