Question on Jotul Castine baffle gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highridge

Dec 1, 2019
Hello, just recently installed a Jotul castine and have probably had 7-8 fires so far. I noticed the other day a gap above the gasket on the front “step” of the baffle where it sits. Not sure if this is normal or if it will cause any adverse affects?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Question on Jotul Castine baffle gasket
    73A76AF0-2732-4AB8-93A1-2BB1E44BDD91.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 149
Most don’t seal down on that gasket very well. Just make sure the latches are snugged down tight.

I am assuming you haven’t lifted the baffle up. It’s a wide gasket, maybe an inch or so. They can be fiddling to get in the correct place when you don’t take the top of the stove off, but you can undo the latches and lift the baffle enough (without taking it out) to reposition the gasket. If you do that just be careful that you don’t lose the gasket down the side cavity. Looking at the picture there does appear to be a soot free area next to the gasket. That might be an indication that’s it’s not sealing well. I have always installed the gasket running up the front vertical face as there is a gasket on the baffle that seals the shorter rear vertical spot. I’m no expert and maybe others could come in but it looks different than I am used to seeing on the two F400 I have run.
Evan
Question on Jotul Castine baffle gasket

Lit my stove today and was watching the secondaries burn. Started thinking that if you get your stove good and hot 500F stovetop comer and then cut the air back all the way do you see flames originating at that gasket or being drawn toward it. If they shoot strait out the burn holes I think you are probably fine. the gasket has a wider surface to seal.
Evan

Lit my stove today and was watching the secondaries burn. Started thinking that if you get your stove good and hot 500F stovetop comer and then cut the air back all the way do you see flames originating at that gasket or being drawn toward it. If they shoot strait out the burn holes I think you are probably fine. the gasket has a wider surface to seal.
Evan
Been burning nonstop the last 3 days, but stuck the poker in the gap today while reloading and was able to wiggle the gasket so it’s definitely not sealing right. Secondaries seem to be firing more on the side of the gap, but that may just be me. I’ll let the fire go out tomorrow and get a closer look. It almost seems like the baffle is warped, to be seated everywhere except that one spot.

Hello, just recently installed a Jotul castine and have probably had 7-8 fires so far. I noticed the other day a gap above the gasket on the front “step” of the baffle where it sits. Not sure if this is normal or if it will cause any adverse affects?
Thanks for the help!

I just replaced many of my stove gaskets after 12 years. That one on my Castine was loose (deteriorated) and partially hanging down before I changed it. I never really noticed any performance difference between before and after.