Question on hearth pad build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan125

Nov 18, 2013
idaho
Bought an older stove 1986. Sweet home is the make, Striker 160 is the model.
Anyway the stove says I need to set the stove on a pad of 3/8 thickness of asbestos. Don't reckon I will be able to find any of that....
I do however have 1.5" thick concrete slab pavers.
I was thinking of setting the stove on that and see if that will suffice.

Will this suffice with R value and such?
Info on this stove make and model is sketchy at best.
So I will put my faith in you people.

Reactions: Old School
Search in the older stove section, many super knowledgeable people there who would be able to answer your question .

No, you aren't going to find any asbestos, thank God. 3/8 inch of asbestos is not much of an R factor.
I would think that 1 1/2 inches of concrete pavers would work fine.

Cement pavers probably won't be enough actually. Heat will pour straight through them. How will you know over time if they are working? The only symptom is a house fire.. Lol
I would want to put a sheet or two of micore under the cement. It's very similar to asbestos, but not deadly!

Reactions: bholler
Well, better safe than sorry, that is true.
What is the R factor of 3/8 inch of asbestos?

Status
Not open for further replies.