Question Lopi Liberty air tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elleninpa

Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2008
pa
Hello, we have a wood burning Lopi Liberty since 2010, use it for backup to our coal burner....so it gets about 6 hours per day use instead of 24 hours....anyhow...I wondered how long those air tubes hold up? we are thinking of getting some spares for the stove to have but are the air tubes an item that wear out sooner rather than later? I know these are relative terms...just looking for a rough guideline. TIA

Hello, we have a wood burning Lopi Liberty since 2010, use it for backup to our coal burner....so it gets about 6 hours per day use instead of 24 hours....anyhow...I wondered how long those air tubes hold up? we are thinking of getting some spares for the stove to have but are the air tubes an item that wear out sooner rather than later? I know these are relative terms...just looking for a rough guideline. TIA
Unless you are over firing the stove they will last forever.

soooo define over firing/ the flames lick the tubes when we start up and have the drafts open, but most of the time the flames do not touch them...so i'm gonna guess that no they wont need replacement...right/ are they stainless steel?

soooo define over firing/ the flames lick the tubes when we start up and have the drafts open, but most of the time the flames do not touch them...so i'm gonna guess that no they wont need replacement...right/ are they stainless steel?
Flames can hit them that is no problem. Over firing is running the stove to hot consistently

Reactions: elleninpa
I have had a Lopi Patriot for 21 years, running continuously November-April. In that time I have burned out two tubes--one middle, one front. The middle tube will get red hot in some burning conditions. In both cases I replaced them with pieces of 3/4" iron gas pipe in which I had drilled holes to match the original tubes. The replacements have by now outlasted the originals. However, they are subject to oxidation from the heat, and I will have to replace a tube at some time in the next few years most likely. I operate the stove so that a stovetop thermometer reads 600 degrees much of the time, briefly higher on startup. If I were you I would wait and see if the tubes deteriorate before investing $100+ in new ones. Watch for cracking on the underside. Sagging is less important.