Question about wood stove discoloration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dgm3306

Feb 20, 2020
Pomfret CT
So I noticed today that the paint on the outside of my wood stove is darker from where the fire bricks are inside the firebox down and it's a but lighter above that line. Any idea what would cause this? Perhaps difference in heat on the outside of the stove?

Post a pic and you’ll get good detailed feedback.

Yes, it’s a difference in heat. Is this a new stove or older? If new, it could just be normal curing that may equalize over time. if an older stove, it could be a sign of overtire.

Yes, it’s a difference in heat. Is this a new stove or older? If new, it could just be normal curing that may equalize over time. if an older stove, it could be a sign of overtire.

It is a new stove first season using it and I'll post a pic shortly

Attachments

• 20200221_083140.jpg
    20200221_083140.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200221_083129.jpg
    20200221_083129.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 227
What temperature is the stove top normally at? Has it been running some very hot fires?

What temperature is the stove top normally at? Has it been running some very hot fires?
The thermometer on my stove pipe i keep at about 400 degrees (I don't have an infrared thermometer so not sure the stovetop) but I never let it burn extremely hot, it never glows on the inside or anything like that.

It is a new stove it is its first season so my guess would just be its the paint curing?

Yes, that part of the stove gets hotter. You could temporarily put the thermometer on that location to see what temp it gets to there.

Yes, that part of the stove gets hotter. You could temporarily put the thermometer on that location to see what temp it gets to there.

First pic is obviously stove pipe temp which is about where we keep it on average second pic is in the area where the fire bricks line the box and the third pic is above that area.

So I'm chalking the difference in paint color is related to a difference in temp of these 2 areas curing the paint differently?

Attachments

• 20200221_162133.jpg
    20200221_162133.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200221_162407.jpg
    20200221_162407.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200221_162449.jpg
    20200221_162449.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 147
I mean there is no warping of the metal etc or anything of that nature just the paint has faded differently is all I can see.

I suspect the temperature difference has likely been greater at some point in time, than what you show here, to see that difference in color. But no worries, with age and time it should all equalize, unless the paint was baked very hot, at a temperature the brick will never permit.

I suspect the temperature difference has likely been greater at some point in time, than what you show here, to see that difference in color. But no worries, with age and time it should all equalize, unless the paint was baked very hot, at a temperature the brick will never permit.

Yeah I have no idea I only run the stove when someone is home and we always keep the stove pipe within the orange ideal range on the thermometer. I've never checked the actual stove temp until this point right now.

I only run the stove when someone is home and we always keep the stove pipe within the orange ideal range on the thermometer. I've never checked the actual stove temp until this point right now.
More meters is always better ==c but if you've been watching the flue meter and keeping it under control, it's a pretty safe be that the stove hasn't been overfired. What stove is this? (You can click on your username above and put it in your signature. That way, other owners of your stove will be more likely to comment..)

Reactions: Dgm3306
More meters is always better ==c but if you've been watching the flue meter and keeping it under control, it's a pretty safe be that the stove hasn't been overfired. What stove is this? (You can click on your username above and put it in your signature. That way, other owners of your stove will be more likely to comment..)

It is a US Stove Magnolia

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221-172839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200221-172839_Chrome.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 125
It is a US Stove Magnolia
It's possible that some of the value-line stoves use a paint that is more prone to fading, I don't know. You could always do a touch-up at some point with Stove Bright or some other high-temp paint.
As an aside...looking at the TSC website, local store, I see some Buck stoves on there! :eek: How does that work? I figured the local Buck dealer would have exclusive distribution rights in the area. At buckstove.com, TSC doesn't come up in a dealer search. Maybe Buck is letting them blow out some of the 2019 excess stock?

It's possible that some of the value-line stoves use a paint that is more prone to fading, I don't know. You could always do a touch-up at some point with Stove Bright or some other high-temp paint.
As an aside...looking at the TSC website, local store, I see some Buck stoves on there! :eek: How does that work? I figured the local Buck dealer would have exclusive distribution rights in the area. At buckstove.com, TSC doesn't come up in a dealer search. Maybe Buck is letting them blow out some of the 2019 excess stock?

Not sure that is my guess that they have an older line they're phasing out or something.

I know the Magnolia I purchased it appears US stove no longer makes that line. For a lower cost stove so far it's been amazing. Puts out great heat and it's very efficient.

Yeah my guess would be maybe cheap paint. Structurally I can't see or find any flaws in the area that is discolored etc. No warping anything of that nature.

It keeps the whole house both upstairs and downstairs at 68-70 degrees on the coldest days we've been having.

I have to admit I know nothing about your stove, but I've seen enough precautionary tales about other US Stove brand stoves that I'd say keep an eye on this thing. If you want a stove you can confidently leave burning when you go to bed or leave the house, please do your research on the safety of this particular model. Some of US Stove brand stoves have been deemed unsafe, by members of this forum with more experience than me.

On the other hand, Buck is a very well-respected brand. If you have a chance to pick one up on the cheap, it's definitely something worth considering. Buck has a small but dedicated user base, on this forum, mostly the southern boys.

I have to admit I know nothing about your stove, but I've seen enough precautionary tales about other US Stove brand stoves that I'd say keep an eye on this thing. If you want a stove you can confidently leave burning when you go to bed or leave the house, please do your research on the safety of this particular model. Some of US Stove brand stoves have been deemed unsafe, by members of this forum with more experience than me.

On the other hand, Buck is a very well-respected brand. If you have a chance to pick one up on the cheap, it's definitely something worth considering. Buck has a small but dedicated user base, on this forum, mostly the southern boys.
I did do quite a bit if research before purchasing it.

All the reviews I found online for the Magnolia were good. On tractor supply is has like 4.7 out of 5 stars on over 400 reviews and from doing a search of the forums here everything I've read from owners of it all have had good things to say about it.

Reactions: Ashful
It's a solid bargain stove from China. Give it a repaint with a good stove paint like Stove Brite in summer if this bothers you.

It's a solid bargain stove from China. Give it a repaint with a good stove paint like Stove Brite in summer if this bothers you.
That was the plan I just wanted to make sure something wasnt amiss. I've pretty much been running it daily since the end of November and it has saved me a ton on heating oil.

I like them when they change shades. means it's working....

Reactions: Highbeam
I know the Magnolia I purchased it appears US stove no longer makes that line. For a lower cost stove so far it's been amazing. Puts out great heat and it's very efficient....It keeps the whole house both upstairs and downstairs at 68-70 degrees on the coldest days we've been having...the reviews I found online for the Magnolia were good.
Sounds like the stove is doing well for you, and that you are running it right. :cool:
I recall seeing the Magnolia in a few posts, and don't remember any negative press.
Buck is a very well-respected brand. If you have a chance to pick one up on the cheap,
Those prices look to be slightly discounted, but not "on the cheap" yet..

Cheap paint. The real question is whether to remove the cheap paint before applying good paint. It’s super easy to spray a new layer on top of the faded paint if that original paint is “sound”.

Of course removing the old cheap paint has it's pitfalls as well. Like, do you sand it down in the house and make a mess and paint it in the house and stink the place up and chance getting overspray on mamma's stuff, or do you take it outside (preferable) and do it there?

I've had the same scenario with mine so I left it alone. It's not a piece of furniture anyway, it's a heat stove. I can live with the heat faded paint just fine myself. Gives it the 'used' look.

I don't want to have to 'horse it out and back in. Damn thing is heavy.

My only concern is inactive corrosion (rust) on the outside and the inside (firebox) so, in the spring when I mothball it for the summer, I clean it out really well, clean the venting (I have Duravent pipe externally run vertically), spray the interior with Stabil fogging oil (good stuff btw.) and wipe the exterior of the stove down with a rag soaked in PBlaster. it stinks a bit but it don't rust over the summer either.