Question about wood insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnpolk

Sep 15, 2012
we have a guy installing a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 in our cabin on Monday. Originally, we were going to go with the neo 2.5 but because of a height restriction we had to change our plans to the 1.6. The question I have involves the distance from the face of the stove back to the center of the flue. Our fireplace has about 14” but the neo 1.6 is only 10”. I’m not sure what the installer is planning on doing but I’m concerned about what he may try. Is there a good way to fix that? Elbow of some kind? The cabin is in a rural area and this guy has given me a bit of a bad vibe with some of things he says. I just don’t want to cut any corners when I’m paying to have it installed “correctly”

Bad art

Attachments

• Question about wood insert install
    81360DF4-318F-4ABA-A642-D6DDA15380E3.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 95
we have a guy installing a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 in our cabin on Monday. Originally, we were going to go with the neo 2.5 but because of a height restriction we had to change our plans to the 1.6. The question I have involves the distance from the face of the stove back to the center of the flue. Our fireplace has about 14” but the neo 1.6 is only 10”. I’m not sure what the installer is planning on doing but I’m concerned about what he may try. Is there a good way to fix that? Elbow of some kind? The cabin is in a rural area and this guy has given me a bit of a bad vibe with some of things he says. I just don’t want to cut any corners when I’m paying to have it installed “correctly”
Being that you are going to be paying good money for an install- why go into it with a bad vibe? Allow this forum to help you out for what to look for with an install. YOU are the customer and are in control of who you have in your house and how this project gets done. A good installer will address your questions and should be listing the materials to be used and how the project should be completed.
If we’re in your shoes I’d SLOW this process down until you’re confident your hiring the right person to do the right job.

Thank you for your reply. I’m in exactly the situation you describe. I don’t know for sure if I really have a problem yet, or if I’m just worrying. I’m hoping to get some educated opinions from the pros on here. Maybe the flexibility of the flex liner will accommodate a bit of bending to offset the 4”?

I was wondering if an elbow was an acceptable solution. Thank you
As long as it is a stainless one meant to be used with that liner yes it is fine

Ok. Separate question, the insert is going into an old heatilator fire box. Is that a situation where you would need a block off plate? It’s essentially a large steel firebox built into a masonry chimney. I attached a picture with the current gas insert

Attachments

• Question about wood insert install
    BC031A92-4479-434B-84E7-4177D4B7A0D0.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 118
Ok. Separate question, the insert is going into an old heatilator fire box. Is that a situation where you would need a block off plate? It’s essentially a large steel firebox built into a masonry chimney. I attached a picture with the current gas insert
Yes