question about vinyl siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bikerguyforlife

Jul 13, 2018
Erin,tn
has anyone had issues with the supervent thru wall kit? 2" seems little close to the vinyl..i seen some nightmare online...i will be updating soon with the wall thimble...finally got it almost installed...thanks guys

2" is ok as long as chimney pipe is used through the wall and all the way up past the roof. The tee support bracket and chimney brackets allow for it to be further away if you want more peace of mind, so it would be ok to go 4".

2" is ok as long as chimney pipe is used through the wall and all the way up past the roof. The tee support bracket and chimney brackets allow for it to be further away if you want more peace of mind, so it would be ok to go 4".
ARE YOU POSITIVE ABOUT THE 4" I DONT SEE ANY MECHANISM TO ALLOW THE SUPPORT TO SLIDE IN THE PICS ITS THE SUPERVENT JSC6SK KIT...sorry for caps just realized it...lol

i know the ultra temp allows up to 6 but not the supervent

Yes, that kit does have limited options. The tee bracket and wall supports could be padded with 2x4s to extend it out 1.5" more to 3.5".

If the stove is being run properly you will be able to go outside and touch the tee. It might be warm, but not very hot. That said, we had a case of appears to have been a defective chimney pipe a few years back that did warp vinyl siding. But normally this is not an issue. Coincidentally this was Supervent chimney.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-chimney-melting-my-vinyl-siding.153758/

Yes, that kit does have limited options. The tee bracket and wall supports could be padded with 2x4s to extend it out 1.5" more to 3.5".

If the stove is being run properly you will be able to go outside and touch the tee. It might be warm, but not very hot. That said, we had a case of appears to have been a defective chimney pipe a few years back that did warp vinyl siding. But normally this is not an issue. Coincidentally this was Supervent chimney.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-chimney-melting-my-vinyl-siding.153758/
ok begreen....i think ill do what you suggested anyway and pad it out,,,,just have to figure how to make it look ok?....rather have it further if possible my eve is only about 7" maybe 8 so out more will be better anyway

ok begreen....i think ill do what you suggested anyway and pad it out,,,,just have to figure how to make it look ok?....rather have it further if possible my eve is only about 7" maybe 8 so out more will be better anyway
It looks like the SuperVent tee support is adjustable from 2-6" from the installation documentation I have. If so, only the wall brackets will need pads. Will the eave get notched to maintain 2" clearance as the chimney passes through it?

Not sure about painting the outer half of the thimble. Might be ok.

It looks like the SuperVent tee support is adjustable from 2-6" from the installation documentation I have. If so, only the wall brackets will need pads. Will the eave get notched to maintain 2" clearance as the chimney passes through it?

View attachment 228457

Not sure about painting the outer half of the thimble. Might be ok.
no begreen im going around it...its not wide enough to cut thru....its only like 8"....however with all due respect the supervent isnt adjustable from pics i see i could be worng..,,,,only the ultra temp is....the pipe is like 180$ for a 4ft piece.....so im not using it...lol
im using the cheaper supervent...

so what do you do when your eve is small...you have to go around it....no ther way...or stick it out further from house to go straight up...which means like 10-11 inches from my outter wall..that will look stupid

no begreen im going around it...its not wide enough to cut thru....its only like 8"....however with all due respect the supervent isnt adjustable from pics i see i could be worng..,,,,only the ultra temp is....the pipe is like 180$ for a 4ft piece.....so im not using it...lol
im using the cheaper supervent...
That is the question. How are you planning on going to go around the eave? Typically it is notched to clear the pipe.

The SuperVent installation document shows the tee bracket as adjustable. Have you downloaded their installation docs?

Supervent on page 8 clearly says dont offset an exterior chimney. The eve will need to be notched or the brackets padded out to clear. Higher quality pipe has allot more options in fittings and supports. With ventis i would just use extended supports and run it straight up.

That is the question. How are you planning on going to go around the eave? Typically it is notched to clear the pipe.

The SuperVent installation document shows the tee bracket as adjustable. Have you downloaded their installation docs?
View attachment 228458
hey begreen thanks for that brother...in stock photos of the kit it doesnt look like that...i called selkirk and tech guy said it was not adjustable.....i had to "upgrade to the ultratemp wall kit...which is not happening ...lol im going around eve man,,,,itll be fine...maybe a 45 degree or a 30 elbow...ill maintain 2"

Supervent on page 8 clearly says dont offset an exterior chimney. The eve will need to be notched or the brackets padded out to clear. Higher quality pipe has allot more options in fittings and supports. With ventis i would just use extended supports and run it straight up.
Yes. Same with DuraTech.

hey begreen thanks for that brother...in stock photos of the kit it doesnt look like that...i called selkirk and tech guy said it was not adjustable.....i had to "upgrade to the ultratemp wall kit...which is not happening ...lol im going around eve man,,,,itll be fine...maybe a 45 degree or a 30 elbow...ill maintain 2"
An exterior offset is not permitted with SuperVent chimney.

You also cant use a 45

Yes. They don't make a supervent chimney 45 elbow.

The instructions say they do for oil and gas use

The instructions say they do for oil and gas use
Interesting. Perhaps they were just stating a fact, not that they make one. Their catalog only shows 15º & 30º elbows in JSC chimney pipe.

as long as i get the chimney away from the eve....hell..i dont care...maintain the 2" gitter done...haaa my shipping container is coming today pretty excited...west tennessee preppers is our channel if anyone is a youtube dude....gotta run! i;; be back on tommorow

as long as i get the chimney away from the eve....hell..i dont care...maintain the 2" gitter done...haaa my shipping container is coming today pretty excited...west tennessee preppers is our channel if anyone is a youtube dude....gotta run! i;; be back on tommorow
It will be a problem if you ever have to make an insurance claim.

Interesting. Perhaps they were just stating a fact, not that they make one. Their catalog only shows 15º & 30º elbows in JSC chimney pipe.
I dont know i dont use their products only going by whats in their instructions

Looks like it is simply a generic statement in their instructions. Not sure why it was even included as it is not relevant to wood burning chimneys at all.

"Forty-five-degrees (45°) elbows may be used only with oil or gas appliances."

Looks like it is simply a generic statement in their instructions. Not sure why it was even included as it is not relevant to wood burning chimneys at all.

"Forty-five-degrees (45°) elbows may be used only with oil or gas appliances."
Because you can use the same chimney for oil and gas. The instructions are not dpecific to wood burners.