Question about Jotul 3 joints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gund24

Nov 26, 2021
Sunderland, MA
See photos attached. At the joint between the top and sides of my Jotul 3 (in the front) I can see flames when the stove is stoked up high. I assume this is not right and what is the repair needed?

Question about Jotul 3 jointsQuestion about Jotul 3 joints

It looks like the top gasket is due for replacement and/or that the top is not sitting squarely on the gasket.

Your top is not on all the way. And the gasket could use a replacement Im sure. So, this can happen when someone doesnt get the top back on correctly.

So, to get the top of normally, that set screw you see in your second photo in the middle top that looks like a hole, would need to come out, there is one on both sides. And when you take them out and take the top off and flip it over you will see the gasket, and the 2 eyes that the set screws are supposed to thread into to get the lid on tight.

What happened im guessing is someone, possibly the last sweep, had the top off for some reason, and when he put it back on and screwed the set screws, it missed the eye hole. It happens pretty easy w a new gasket, you have to make sure the top is on right, and hold some pressure in the top and screw the set screw back in slowly, if it catches the eye like its supposed too, you will see it start to sinch down. When you see that start, go to the other side, a little pressure and start screwing that one, when you see it start to sinch down then your good, tighten each set screw until flush with the outside of the cast.

If you pay attention, its really easy to see when you miss the eye putting the screw back in, because it will either push the top up, or kick it slightly to the side, like you have here.

If the gasket needs to be replaced, Jotul will try to sell you a $65 kit to replace them. This guy here sells personalized Jotul kits for a better price and the same very high quality. And hes a real great person too 🙃