Quadrafire Santa Fe Right hand door fix and modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Picked up a nice little Quad Santa Fe. Wow 10 heat exchangers with that big round deep fire pot! Boy does it crank out heat!

The left had door bottom flange sprung loose from the weld point and was a pain to close and open. Not that you need to open it much but closing wrong could cause further damage.

I had it welded back on the end and my welder added weld points in the middle for strength!

Should the weld hold better and last longer now?

See pics

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Quadrafire Santa Fe Right hand door fix and modification
    QuadSantaFeRightDoorWeldBrokeSC.webp
    146.3 KB · Views: 201
    QuadSantaFeRightDoorWeldFixedSC.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 180
    QuadSantaFeRightDoorWelding.webp
    73 KB · Views: 155
They have always had problems with their doors I am not sure the only thing i would be worried about is weakening the metal where you welded it

They have always had problems with their doors I am not sure the only thing i would be worried about is weakening the metal where you welded it

Interesting. What other problems did they have with their doors? Please tell me.

Flimsy doors... Bend easily.

Just be careful amd dont apply extra pressure when opening or closing..

Flimsy doors... Bend easily.

Just be careful amd dont apply extra pressure when opening or closing..

Yes, Thanks Dexter.

That broken weld was the only item broken on the whole stove. Funny it was on the side with no servicable parts. The fans are in the back, the control box and snap discs are on the other side.
Anyway it is all fixed now and I am in the process of painting Satin Black. I like painting Quads, you can take all the panels off and then paint both sides. So easy!

I still remember your great paint job on your CB1200 !

Well, when I get it together and fired up I will take some pics.Before I bought it we fired it right up and it purred like a kitten! Quads are very well built for the most part!
This Santa Fe has the revised bottom air wash on the door bottom of glass and the updated clear control box! If it was a year older I would not be so fortunate and may not have bought it.Those Santa Fe's had the door with the top air was that did not work so well! I believe the older control box had the CSS issue. Cold Start Syndrome not starting on Low Heat sometimes because the exhaust fan is too slow during the start cycle so you must hit the reset a few times!
A new door and control box is costly!

So I had a can and a quarter of Stove Bright Satin black. I think I am all set now!

My Classic Bay has the airwash on the Top.

The way I see it, Cold air drops. So as it comes in the top of the glass, it helps to drag it "Down" the glass. Rather than up.

Majority of wood stoves and Lots of Pellet stoves are on the top. Lots of pellet stoves are on the bottom too.... So its a "Wash" as to whats best. :) pun intended ;)

My Classic Bay has the airwash on the Top.

The way I see it, Cold air drops. So as it comes in the top of the glass, it helps to drag it "Down" the glass. Rather than up.

Majority of wood stoves and Lots of Pellet stoves are on the top. Lots of pellet stoves are on the bottom too.... So its a "Wash" as to whats best. :) pun intended ;)

Thanks for the Info. Good to know there are different ways on the pellet stoves. Well the CB1200 being much larger has more air and may work either way. From what I hear, the old Santa Fe's with the top air wash needed the glass cleaned every single day. So they say the bottom air wash on this Santa Fe works better. I will see during testing.

Now that get's me thinking on how it works on the Astoria? Not quite sure.

Soke stoves actually have air wash on top and bottom....

As for the Astoria, Im surprised you dont know? You know more about the stoves you sell, than the stove you paid Full price for..

I still would have kept the Enviro for your home. That Meridian was an awesome stove with many more features than the Avalon. Maybe its just me, but when a Good, Efficient, and Feature friendly stove comes along, you better snag it.....

Looking forward to what the Astoria has?

Soke stoves actually have air wash on top and bottom....

As for the Astoria, Im surprised you dont know? You know more about the stoves you sell, than the stove you paid Full price for..

I still would have kept the Enviro for your home. That Meridian was an awesome stove with many more features than the Avalon. Maybe its just me, but when a Good, Efficient, and Feature friendly stove comes along, you better snag it.....

Looking forward to what the Astoria has?

Well, if I had a real choice of another stove for my house, that new Hudson River Kinderhook which is the complete Enviro redesign of the old Hudson River West Point is very tempting! 3 bag hopper and huge ash pan with the nice Enviro hanging burn pot and open sides to the ash pan is my kind of pellet stove design!

Looks like the complex Avalon Astoria air wash is all around the glass. See pic below. It works but I am not convinced it is the best design? What would you say is the best design?

Click on pic to see entire picture

Attachments

DoorPartsAirWashBracketSC.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 168
Looks like its only on the bottom...?

Best way I have found to check, is take a cigarette lighter and run around the outside of the glass. It will get sucked into where the "wash" is. This is how I clean the airwash also. Because dust bunnies build up in there also (very small gap) and can greatly affect the airwash system.

You can use a candle, or a match also. Blow them out and watch where the smoke travels.

Hi Dexter

Good idea, I will try that sometime.

I checked the stove again and the same channel goes all around the glass and I can feel the gap with my finger on all sides! See pic

Attachments

IMG02977-20120726-2308.webp
    145.4 KB · Views: 160
The Astoria has top and bottom, however the top and or bottom only truly work if the glass tape is removed on the top and bottom of the glass.

What glass tape?

The Astoria has top and bottom, however the top and or bottom only truly work if the glass tape is removed on the top and bottom of the glass.

Judging by the pic, the channel is only Top and Bottom as Scott said?

Judging by the pic, the channel is only Top and Bottom as Scott said?

Yes, I checked again. It is only top and bottom, but I do not see any glass tape. So not sure what that is? Was it put on at the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.