Quadradire Yosemite ash pan door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Burning with this new to me stove (used) and its a little hard to control. I’m burning wood with 40 percent moisture content (I know, I know) and it still burns hot with full secondaries rolling with the air control all the way closed.

I’ve been burning for awhile and owned another quad for about 6 years. I’m familiar with the burning cycle and when I should shut down, etc.

So, I did a little digging. I don’t use the ash pan, because the design is horrible. It’s grate is always open and ash and good coals drop right into the pan, it can’t be caped from within the stove as far as I know.

Anyway, based on that I plan to let it fill up and just stay that way forever. I’ll shovel the ashes out like I always have.

Inside the ash pan door, I saw some shiny stuff. That obvious “air comes in here” sign.

The gasket is old, and needs replacing.

Here’s the million dollar question. Has anyone ever sealed the door on the ash pan with red RTV or some other sealant? I plan on leaving it shut, forever.

The stove came out of an unfinished basement and the interior of the ash pan, where the gasket lays when closed, has some rust on it and a little bit of a rough and pitted texture. I worry about an door gasket ever sealing like it’s supposed to.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd replace the gaskets with the proper oem gaskets. That way you will have good performance and a stove you can sell if the urge arises.