Quad Classic bay 1200 run in an outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maraian

Nov 28, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Im thinking about getting an inverter and running the CB1200 off a motorcycle battery.
Can this stove be lit manually? Is there any way to get the combustion fan on without the igniter?

A harley batter might give you a couple hours. A deep cycle marine batter could get you up to 8 hours. The igniter you would have to unplug from the harness its controled by the board. Yes you can manually fire it hand sanitizers on a hand full of pellets or a torch.

Reactions: Maraian
I tried running my Santa Fe off of a 750 watt inverter and a marine battery. Didn't work. Not enough power. The AE can run off an inverter or generator, but other Quad stoves should be on pure sine wave with surge protector.

I tried running my Santa Fe off of a 750 watt inverter and a marine battery. Didn't work. Not enough power. The AE can run off an inverter or generator, but other Quad stoves should be on pure sine wave with surge protector.
Oh, so my CB 1200 shouldn't be run on a generac 7 KW home standby generator?

That should work as long as you have a surge protector.

Conventional generators (essentially an electric motor used in reverse by being mechanically spun - typically at 3600 RPM to create a 60Hz output) naturally create a sine wave output. The Generac generators have voltage controllers, and these controllers distort the waveform to a degree, but the waveform is still essentially a fairly clean sine wave with a little "noise" riding on it.

The bottom line is that most Generac generators do not create a totally "pure" (as in perfectly clean on an oscilloscope) sine wave, but their output is just fine for any motor. Now the control circuits on pellet stoves have timing components that use that same wavelength for thier timing trigers may be affected.

Reactions: kappel15