Putting an insert in a masonry fireplace after removing stone face??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No we are not planning on tearing out. I had thought about that early on but we are just going with large flush from fpx.

So if that will sit inside the existing firebox then why is it necessary to use 10" block for the face? Also, I'm assuming your going to attach stone or something to the front of the concrete block?

So if that will sit inside the existing firebox then why is it necessary to use 10" block for the face? Also, I'm assuming your going to attach stone or something to the front of the concrete block?

The block will go on the front of the firebox to keep it up to code. Yes I am going to put stone on the block. My plan is to bring the face of the insert flush with with the finished face and then install the plate to cover the whole. Hopefully that will be fine.

You are correct.

Another question for you. I replied to homeinpa this but wanted to ask you if I can put the insert flush with the stone that I put on the block. If I do this the block will be next to the unit on the sides. Will these blocks be fine or do I need to use firebrick around the opening? I am installing fpx large flush

It will actually not be in the box completely. roughly 9"-10" would be out of the box but still contained within the block and the stone face. It would be just like if I did not tear the rock and mortar off of it and slid the insert in it that way. Make sense?? Not sure that this exactly how it should be but what I was wanting to do.

Another question for you. I replied to homeinpa this but wanted to ask you if I can put the insert flush with the stone that I put on the block. If I do this the block will be next to the unit on the sides. Will these blocks be fine or do I need to use firebrick around the opening? I am installing fpx large flush
Block are fine

It will actually not be in the box completely. roughly 9"-10" would be out of the box but still contained within the block and the stone face. It would be just like if I did not tear the rock and mortar off of it and slid the insert in it that way. Make sense?? Not sure that this exactly how it should be but what I was wanting to do.

I think I understand what you're doing. I guess my "concern" would be that you're putting the stove way out in front of the damper opening and that you'll have enough room to come out of the top of the inserts and angle back to pick up the liner. I'm going to assume you've accounted for that and will be able to make your connections though.

I think I understand what you're doing. I guess my "concern" would be that you're putting the stove way out in front of the damper opening and that you'll have enough room to come out of the top of the inserts and angle back to pick up the liner. I'm going to assume you've accounted for that and will be able to make your connections though.

Going with the 4” block. Yes it got a little too tight with that depth. Thanks!

What are anyones thoughts on electrical outlet inside the fire box. Would be 6-7 inches away from the insert and down low. I have seen a few on here that have done this.

What are anyones thoughts on electrical outlet inside the fire box. Would be 6-7 inches away from the insert and down low. I have seen a few on here that have done this.

That there is an electrical code question. Maybe somebody on here has experience with that. I would think it would have to be placed as if it were being used as an open fireplace in case the next homeowner pulled the insert. I'm just guessing though.

There are a couple issues with this idea. The insert can not be quickly disconnected for electrical servicing or malfunction and also the temperature rating of the wire may not be appropriate. The first issue could be addressed if the outlet had a service switch next to the fireplace. The second issue would require consulting with the insert mfg. to determine whether the insert plug wiring is rated for high temp service.
More chat on this topic:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/insert-wiring-type-of-wire.163494

Last edited: