Purchasing new stove. Pe,vc, jotul , hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jones93

Nov 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Title says it all I’m heating about 2800 sq ft I’m looking at the biggest models of each mfg. we generally need long burn times as we’re gone for 10-12 hours during the day unless it’s really really cold out. I like the pacific energy but I also like the other brands each has there pros let’s here opinions

where is the stove going to be located, do you care what it looks like?
Stove is located on our ground floor it is replacing and existing stove so hearth and all of that is there. We love the styling on the defiant and hearthstone. But on functionality The jotul and pacific energy look to be much better

Title says it all I’m heating about 2800 sq ft I’m looking at the biggest models of each mfg. we generally need long burn times as we’re gone for 10-12 hours during the day unless it’s really really cold out. I like the pacific energy but I also like the other brands each has there pros let’s here opinions

Maybe consider a wood furnace. Maybe that's where Rob is going with his question about if you care how it looks.

We have a PE Summit to heat 2200 sq ft with tall ceilings. We are in southern Wisconsin. It is not sufficient to heat this place by itself through the coldest part of the winter, but every setup is different. Maybe you have normal height ceilings or are better insulated. We use it in conjunction with the furnace and it's fine. It keeps the gas bill under control.

If you have an existing chimney, please provide the information about it. Size, height, construction (interior, exterior, manufactured, masonry, lined, lined with what, insulated or not) that kind of thing. That can make a difference with people's recommendations.

it is replacing and existing stove

What was the old stove? Was it sufficient to heat your place? And what is the reason for replacing it? I'm just asking some common questions... It helps to give people an idea of what to recommend.

What was the old stove? Was it sufficient to heat your place? And what is the reason for replacing it? I'm just asking some common questions... It helps to give people an idea of what to recommend.
Old stove was Vermont wood stove company “down drafter”
I’m replacing because down draft stove like that requires so much to maintain that constant coal bed so it’s actually efficient and not just side drafting. And also you can’t find any parts for it. I just want to gain efficiency and functionality and not have to be a genius to operate it.

Maybe consider a wood furnace. Maybe that's where Rob is going with his question about if you care how it looks.

We have a PE Summit to heat 2200 sq ft with tall ceilings. We are in southern Wisconsin. It is not sufficient to heat this place by itself through the coldest part of the winter, but every setup is different. Maybe you have normal height ceilings or are better insulated. We use it in conjunction with the furnace and it's fine. It keeps the gas bill under control.

If you have an existing chimney, please provide the information about it. Size, height, construction (interior, exterior, manufactured, masonry, lined, lined with what, insulated or not) that kind of thing. That can make a difference with people's recommendations.
Existing stove does fine even when it’s down below zero we have a gas furnace for back up or supplemental heat maybe used an extra 2% of 500 gallons through that 2 week cold stretch we had in February. My chimney is and 8” masonry with a liner it’s very tall, traditional 2 story southern Wisconsin farm
House

Well, I can speak to the Pacific Energy Summit, which will also apply to the Alderlea. It is very easy to operate. Very easy to start a fire, and there is just the one air control, so as it gets hot it gets turned down to keep it under control.

We had issues with too much draft at first. We have 25' or more of stack. After installing a damper it is running with much more control. My wife likes it a lot better than the old stove, and I do too.

The other stove we were considering was the Enerzone Solution 3.5. If you are near Burlington, there is a dealer there. That was a pedestal-only, though. The pedestal look wasn't what we were going for.

Keep in mind that you have an opportunity for a nice tax rebate this year if you buy a stove that is at least 75% efficient. The PE stove does not get you there, and I don't think the Enerzone does either.

Reactions: Jones93
Existing stove does fine even when it’s down below zero we have a gas furnace for back up or supplemental heat maybe used an extra 2% of 500 gallons through that 2 week cold stretch we had in February. My chimney is and 8” masonry with a liner it’s very tall, traditional 2 story southern Wisconsin farm
House
8" masonry lined to 6"?

If I had an 8" flue, I would have looked hard at the Regency F5200... Mostly for the firebox size. It didn't have the look we wanted but I would trade looks for 4.4 cu ft.

Otherwise, you have the Hearthstone Green Mountain 80 or the Blaze King King.

There might be others, but that's all I know off the top of my head.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I can attest to the PE Alderlea. It's been a great stove, easy to operate, well behaved, and versatile. There are several other large stoves that are worth looking at. I would suggest looking at the Woodstock Ideal Steel and Progress Hybrid, the Blaze King King, the Regency F3500 & F5200, and the Osburn 3500.

Jones 93, If I was you I would seriouly consider the Woodstock Progress Hybrid, it has many plus like the easy to access the cat, has a HD cast iron heat exchanger, cook top, all around double wall soapstone , andirons, is very nice all year ....but no front door. No front door seems not to bother the PH owners, you probably get used to rapidly...

Reactions: Jones93