PSG Caddy Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeWood

Jan 27, 2014
Waverly, Iowa
Due to the sudden increase in LP prices I have finally decided to install my Caddy add-on wood furnace. I purchased this unit new on e-bay as a "scratch & dent" freight claim. It's never been installed/used. There is a small dent in the lower front right sheet metal, but doesn't appear to hurt the operation of the unit any. I live in a 1600 square foot story and half home with an unfinished basement. I currently use a high efficiency LP forced air furnace. There is an unlined brick chimney with two flues with nothing hooked to it. The interior measurement is 10" x 10" to the flue I can get to. What size/type of liner should I use 6" or 7"? Is it worth insulating? The chimney is approximately 20' from the hook-up to the top. Should I use wrapped insulation or pourable? Also, my chimney is located inside the walls of the house on the north side. It appears that the chimney was "cut-down" at one time. Is it possible to use chimney pipe to continue above the current brick chimney in order to provide the proper clearances? My house has slate type shingles, but I'm worried about getting the proper draft. I will be burning mostly oak and hickory well seasoned if it makes a difference. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to hearth.com and wood heat hawkeye! The Caddy uses 6" chimney if there is no oil backup. Line the chimney, insulate the liner with wrap insulation for the best draft, ease of install. You could extend the chimney with a Class A pipe adapter. It screws to the top of your chimney, clamps to the flex liner, and then you can attach Class A to it, to the height you need. I'll see if I can find a link to an adapter...
A 20' chimney may be enough though, especially if insulated, in an interior chimney.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Any suggestion as to which liner is the best bang for the buck? I found a "pre-insulated" 316 SS flex liner kit on WoodlandDirect for $429. It should be easy to install and I thought the pre-insulated looked like a good idea. It included the tee for the hook-up as well as the top flange and cap. Also, will the Caddy burn for 8 hours between fills in cold weather. The house is insulated very well and has new windows, I'm worried about my wife having to fill it. She's not used to wood heat and it may be a bit of a learning process. I'm hoping the Caddy lives up to all the review I've read. Thanks in advance for the help!

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. I used a preinsulated liner this year for my second install. Insulflex from Magnaflex, $400 delivered for a 6" x20' kit complete, I liked working with it, it's drafting well as I type this!
Caddy should have no problem going 8 hrs in your house, probably much more unless during weather like we have had lately, but even then, still 8. I just looked at a new Caddy at Lehmans Hardware today, (just killin time) it was $2800 + 750 for a blower kit. Lemme know if ya want the Magnaflex rep contact info...

Brenndatomu is spot on. You should be happy with your setup.

I can never put that Lehmans catalog down when I get it! I couldn't remember what I paid for my Caddy so I went back and looked it up. $1450.00 w/blower and included shipping. I remember trying to convince the wife it was a good "investment". It took a couple of years . . . five to be exact, but it looks like it will pay off. It's -10 right now and the wind is blowing 25-30 mph. It's supposed to be -15 to -20 air temp in the morning. The gas furnace doesn't shut off for very long. Thankfully I have enough LP contracted to get me through winter and fill the tank for next year. I'm kind of getting excited to get this project going. Next will be trying to figure out how to plumb it into my existing system. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy so I'm sure I'll be on here asking more questions.

Yup, picked up a new catalog while I was there. A guy could kill lots of time n money there for sure!
Here is the link I promise ya for the chimney extension adapter. https://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0o...late-ventis-class-a-to-chimney-liner-adapter/
That's their rendition, most manufactures make one of their own, each may be a bit different, but basically do the same thing, allow for a flex liner in the existing chimney, then transition to class A pipe above the masonry chimney.
Sounds like you got a great deal on that Caddy, come on back when you start the install, we'll help you through it, there are a number of Caddy owners on here.

Thanks for all the info and the link. Is it a good idea to have a barometric damper in the flue for the adjustment of draft? If so any recommendations? I'm going to sketch something up of my set-up to get some ideas on how to plumb it into my current system. Thanks again for the help.

Brenndatomu, do you have the link/contact info for the insulated liner? I'm trying to compare a few things to figure out what is going to work best. Looks like a 20' liner to the top of my current chimney, then 8' of rigid class A to meet the clearance code for my location. It's not going to be any fun bracing the rigid pipe to my slate roof. Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.