propane conundrum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Having realized that propane is actually more expensive than electric-resistance heating where I live, especially using a time-of-day electrical rate plan, I'm gradually phasing out gas appliances. Replaced the water heater a long time ago, and just installed a new heat pump with heat strips (which will probably almost never run, with the improved cold-weather performance of the heat pump, and climate change).

The one remaining item is the gas cooktop - which we like. I have a 120-gallon tank which will power the cooktop for years, I imagine, but Suburban charges me about $50/year for tank rental. Which is probably about what I spend on actual propane. Buying such a tank is close to $1000. But there's a thing called a 100-lb tank, which holds 20+ gallons and cost $100-200, which I imagine would power the cooktop for close to a year. But for some reason the propane companies won't come out and fill these. You have to cart the tank to U-Haul or somewhere - which would be a bit of a grunt with the 100-lb tank, and the propane costs about twice as much. I guess there's those little tanks like are attached to gas grills, but that'd have to be re-filled several times a year.

So I'm at a loss. Any ideas ?

So $50 per year on rent is equal to 20 years worth of the purchase price of your tank. Just for the sake of convenience, I would pay the yearly rent. Especially as you get older.

I’d see if they could do an automatic monthly draw of around $4.25. It’ll cost them more to run the charge, lol. After a couple years, point this out to them. Maybe they’ll sign the tank over, lol

• Haha
Reactions: RustyShackleford
I guess another reason to stick with the 120-gallon tank is that I'm contemplating a dual-fuel generator.

Keep your 120 gallon. Even buying a 100lb would probably take 5 years to pay off, not including the increased cost of filling it as you mentioned. And then you better have at least a 20lb on hand in case you run the 100lb out half way through cooking.

Reactions: RustyShackleford
Look around for a used tank to buy. If the tag is good propane companies will fill it. You usually will get a better price per gallon as an added bonus.

If you end up getting a Genny consider your consumption per hour of runtime into your tank sizing. At half load mine runs at 2 gal an hour. I can't see mine running full time looking at an extended grid outage, just enough to keep freezers cold and maybe my heat pump up if it's summer. I put in a propane furnace to back up my heat pump. It uses less propane to run than my Genny running to light up heat strips.

With my wood stove I figured the only time the furnace would be needed is if we aren't here to load the stove.

I only have a propane stove, the furnace and my Genny that runs on propane. With a 1000 gallon tank I should be able to be solid for quite a while for a serious grid issue. The tank is pretty much storage for the Genny.

Have you tried an induction range?

Look around for a used tank to buy. If the tag is good propane companies will fill it. You usually will get a better price per gallon as an added bonus.
That's a thought. I think my neighbor found one, so he could bury it.
I put in a propane furnace to back up my heat pump. It uses less propane to run than my Genny running to light up heat strips.
I don't really plan on trying to heat with anything except the woodstove during power outages, so that's moot. And even so, around here, and with the cold-weather performance of this new heat pump, the heat strips wouldn't run much.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
Have you tried an induction range?
Got one of those at mountain house and like it. But prefer the gas one here. Mtn place needed a new stove anyhow (gas ovens suck). And mtn house didn't have a real vent hood (recircs into house) whereas main house has a flue.

Reactions: EbS-P