Progress hybrid, Fire slows down when engaged cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Ok Guys, I need some advice on my stove. First the wood is the same wood that I have been using, IT'S DRY. So today wife add 1 or 2 splits just to keep it warm in the house. I went to add more wood this evening and there was maybe 3 red coals left so I add a few pieces of kindling and a few small splits and the fire was going but not hot enough to engage the cat. I add more wood once it was down to a good bed of coals. I added about 4 nice splits and she took off in about 10-15 mins, full box of flames. Once the stove top was 250-275* I engaged the cat and the fire just slowed down!! From a full ranging fire to a slow weaker fire, is this normal? Im still learning with new stove. Thanks

Normal, because because when the bypass is open air passes through unimpeded, from the back of the box. When you close the bypass 1) the route the exhaust takes is not as direct, and 2) going through the honeycomb-like cat restricts air flow even further.

My normal mode of operation once I close the bypass is a no-flame, cat-glowing burn. If I haven't had time to get the stove fully up to temp for an almost instant cat light-off, I may run some flame for a while to get the cat and surrounding area hotter before I cut the air and go to a smoldering cat burn.

Yes this is normal. With the bypass open the smoke has a shorter path out of the stove. When you close it the path gets much longer and has to go through the combuster. This slows the fire down a good bit initially until the cat lights and everything heats up. This is less noticeable when you reload a hotter stove.

Reactions: ddddddden
Normal, because because when the bypass is open air passes through unimpeded, from the back of the box. When you close the bypass 1) the route the exhaust takes is not as direct, and 2) going through the honeycomb-like cat restricts air flow even further.

Two replies before I could press post. Lol

Yeah, what he said. :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!! I'm still learning with this new stove. Fespo

How wide open was the air draft when you closed the bypass? I know you said it was raging before you closed the bypass.

My Progress does not like to operate in cat mode with a firebox much less than 1/2 full on startup. I have to really crank the air up when closing it down. This is not true at all with a nearly full firebox - I can snuff the air closed almost imediately.

you said it was raging before you closed the bypass.
Oooo, I don't like that word "raging". I never want that..concerned I might overfire some parts like the bypass frame or the chimney. !!!

The WS stoves are built tuff. My stove was inspected and WS scolded me for not burning it hotter.

How wide open was the air draft when you closed the bypass? I know you said it was raging before you closed the bypass.

My Progress does not like to operate in cat mode with a firebox much less than 1/2 full on startup. I have to really crank the air up when closing it down. This is not true at all with a nearly full firebox - I can snuff the air closed almost imediately.

Air was open 100%

The WS stoves are built tuff. My stove was inspected and WS scolded me for not burning it hotter.

Did you have lots of creosote buildup inside the box? My Ashford gets that too, especially on the sides.. one good long hot burn takes care of it though.

I tend to engage the cat around 350 degrees then I pull the air down to around 1/8th. The PH will continue to rise to around 450 degrees and there will be very little flame. For me, this is the "perfect" normal burn. On really cold days, I'll give it additional air depending upon how hot I need to run the stove. I've run it all the way to 550 - 600 on really cold mornings....

Reactions: Woody Stover
Did you have lots of creosote buildup inside the box? My Ashford gets that too, especially on the sides.. one good long hot burn takes care of it though.

Yes, I had creosote in the box and in the exhaust area. WS told me to stop babying the stove.

Yes, I had creosote in the box and in the exhaust area. WS told me to stop babying the stove.
Exactly.....best to burn the PH hot and keep the creosote to a minimum....

Air was open 100%

I am surprised the flames slowed down that much with 100% air. I'm not saying there is a problem but my first thought is to check if the cat is clogged.

Exactly.....best to burn the PH hot and keep the creosote to a minimum....
The funny thing is the flue was pretty clean. And the wood is bone dry. But I was not burning as hot as WS liked.

Last edited:
I am surprised the flames slowed down that much with 100% air. I'm not saying there is a problem but my first thought is to check if the cat is clogged.

fire_man the cat is brand new from Woodstock

In that case there is not much else I can imagine can be wrong. You would certainly know for sure there was a problem if you loaded it full,got the fire going hard, closed the bypass with the air open, and the flames still died down. Flames should be really active with a full firebox and bypassed cat with air turned up.

Last edited:
Well, stove is cool and I just pulled the Cat, Clogged up with ash. I took a brand new soft paint brush and clean it out. Should the screen be install or removed? I have if off, that's what Woodstock said. Fespo

My screen has been off for a couple years per Woodstock instructions but the cat has to be cleaned more often. This is what my cat looked like when clogged.

Glad you found the problem it did not sound right.
Progress hybrid, Fire slows down when engaged cat

I vacuum out the face of my cat whenever the stove goes cold, don't know how accessible it is on your stoves?

I vacuum mine, too. I think it does a better job.

Ok, is it normal to have to clean/vacuum out the cat? If so, how often do you think? Fespo

In the middle of the winter when burning full time, I might check it and vacuum every couple weeks. Its so easy to do, the worst part is waiting for a warm day for the stove to cool.

Reactions: fespo