Progress Hybrid Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
fire_man said:
I want to point out that stove clearances are not always measured from an obvious reference point - you have to verify with the manufacturer. There was an earlier post suggesting it should be measured from the glass. For the front of the Progress, its measured from the outside edge of the cast iron trim, but does not include the ash tray.

Thanks for pointing that out, Tony. In my excitement to finally get clearance numbers, I hadn't paid attention to that detail and was of the mindset that it was from the legs.

are there any requirements on the length/hieght of the stove pipe(from the top of the stove to the thimble)? this was my only concern, i had placed an order for the plinth model but i prefer the look of the legs

It helps to have a bit of vertical pipe before going horizontal. How much would be just a guess, 18"? Sounds like a good question for Woodstock.

Note that Woodstock posted the corner clearance spec yesterday. It's 12" Here's the complete set. It appears that the rear clearances are for double-wall pipe or shielded single-wall. I've asked Woodstock if they have the single-wall pipe clearances yet.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Progress Hybrid Clearances
    progress-hybrid clear.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 362
    progress-hybrid clear2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 354
    progress-hybrid corner.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 346
i asked woodstock and they didnt seem to know what i was talking about, so maybe it isnt an issue. they asked me for my measurements but since im in iraq i couldnt provide that info. thanks for posting those diagrams, the internet service i am currently using has the woodstock blog blocked for some reason. i cant wait to get home and rip my old hearth out and build it the way i want.

Another reason that I want to upgrade from our Fireview! Bigger stove and it takes up less room.

mike8937 said:
i asked woodstock and they didnt seem to know what i was talking about, so maybe it isnt an issue. they asked me for my measurements but since im in iraq i couldnt provide that info. thanks for posting those diagrams, the internet service i am currently using has the woodstock blog blocked for some reason. i cant wait to get home and rip my old hearth out and build it the way i want.

Feel free to ask if you need any info relayed to you Mike. And thanks for your service! When do you get home?

That 24" on the side is killing me :( I have that right now (exactly) for my FV, but with the wider stove if I keep my pipe vertical I lose a couple inches... ug. Add another glitch to my plans... So shielding on the wall? Slant the pipe a bit and shift the stove to the left? The blog post seems to imply they might reduce this after a bit more testing.... I wonder how much more...

Hate to move my whole chimney (hole and all) a few inches to the side...

Slow1:

That' a bummer. I just got off the phone w/ WS and asked about side clearance. Its measured perpendicular from the side of the stove, not in a radius, if that helps. Sounds like you don't have a fireplace installation like mine. i forgot to ask them when the stoves were going to start shipping. How is your Hearth - is it up to spec?

BeGreen said:
mike8937 said:

Feel free to ask if you need any info relayed to you Mike. And thanks for your service! When do you get home?

im actually in process of getting home. got to make a few stops on the way but i will be eating dinner at my house wednesday, i cant wait! thanks for the info you have sent me, i am very excited about this stove. it will be my first stove, i grew up with wood stoves but this will be the first one i can call my own. the timing could not have been better

That's great news. Hope you have a camera at home and that you can document the installation and running of the stove. It should be a very interesting stove to burn in. We're looking forward to field reports and pictures of this new stove.

Have a safe flight back!

i have camera. i didnt even think of takeing pics of the whole process, that is a great idea!

fire_man said:
Slow1:

That' a bummer. I just got off the phone w/ WS and asked about side clearance. Its measured perpendicular from the side of the stove, not in a radius, if that helps. Sounds like you don't have a fireplace installation like mine. i forgot to ask them when the stoves were going to start shipping. How is your Hearth - is it up to spec?

Not sure about hearth... I have tile on top of durock.... so I go looking for the durock number and find .39 but that is for the new type (?) - I don't think I have the new type so what is the old value? IF I were to use the .39 I'd be fine (.39 + .02 = .41) by the skin of my teeth. It seems that I could likely just download the durock specs off their website and show the inspector that and go with it, but.... yeah. The only clearance issue is the side - I'm not in a fireplace; rather I'm in a corner with sheetrock walls behind and on the right side, my hearth I build for the FV is 5'x5' plus a tiny bit for style points.

Perhaps this is a sign that I shouldn't go spending the $'s to upgrade...

1/2" cement board (old style Durock and Wonderboard) are R= .26.

My local HD only carries Hardibacker and Wondeboard, both R=0.26. It might be hard for some of us to find Durock Next Generation.

fire_man said:
My local HD only carries Hardibacker and Wondeboard, both R=0.26. It might be hard for some of us to find Durock Next Generation.

Hi Tony,
The Lowes in Kingston and Home Depot in Plymouth carry Durock.. Which town are you in? These 2 stores are off rt. 3 exit 7 for Lowes and exit 5 for HD..

Ray

I hate to confuse the issue, but this quote from Woodstock's blog is curious:

We had additional UL test conducted with the radiation shield in order to facilitate installations on hearths with R-values of 0.40 to 0.80 (typically 1/2†cementboard or equivalent, covered with 1/4†stone or tile). These hearths were recommended for decades by various manufacturers in the hearth industry.

They seem to imply the that hearths recommended for decades are just fine with the ash lip. However, "typically" a half inch of cement board and 1/4" of tile does not meet the minimum 0.40 requirement. Durock Next Gen is the only cement board that will meet the requirement. None of them did for decades.

raybonz said:
fire_man said:

Hi Tony,
The Lowes in Kingston and Home Depot in Plymouth carry Durock.. Which town are you in? These 2 stores are off rt. 3 exit 7 for Lowes and exit 5 for HD..

Ray

Thank, Ray - good to know. I use the Methuen store - it may also be worth checking Tewksbury, MA and Salem, NH.

Waulie said:
I hate to confuse the issue, but this quote from Woodstock's blog is curious:

We had additional UL test conducted with the radiation shield in order to facilitate installations on hearths with R-values of 0.40 to 0.80 (typically 1/2†cementboard or equivalent, covered with 1/4†stone or tile). These hearths were recommended for decades by various manufacturers in the hearth industry.

They seem to imply the that hearths recommended for decades are just fine with the ash lip. However, "typically" a half inch of cement board and 1/4" of tile does not meet the minimum 0.40 requirement. Durock Next Gen is the only cement board that will meet the requirement. None of them did for decades.

I'm sure someone must have called and asked them about this... if not perhaps I will on Monday or first chance I get. I agree, that is strange if not downright misleading. If anyone has had a discussion with WS on this issue, please speak up.

I think we need Ron from Woodstock to post on these concerns. Where are you Ron?

Status
Not open for further replies.