Present from Delta airlines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not sure of the material your filter is made of but the ones on my stihles are a "clothl". I wash them in hot soapy water and blow them out.

No idea what it's made of.

Present from Delta airlines

Hard to really tell by the pic but looks alot like my "older" filters. Personally, i would try it for 22 bucks. Worst case you have to buy a new one anyway.

Yes, I'm buying one.
I did wash mine with warm water and soap, got stuff out, but the discoloration remained. Sawdust color. So not sure how well it cleaned it (have not run the saw yet).
It's a mesh of some synthetic fiber, it appears. Not woven, but random strands. Not cloth.

If soap and water are the only ways people clean air filters, then I'll do that.

I'm still rather bugged by a saw that needs a new filter after 4 tanks...

I spray mine from both sides with starting fluid, and then blow with compressed air. Good as new.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, I'm buying one.
I did wash mine with warm water and soap, got stuff out, but the discoloration remained. Sawdust color. So not sure how well it cleaned it (have not run the saw yet).
It's a mesh of some synthetic fiber, it appears. Not woven, but random strands. Not cloth.

If soap and water are the only ways people clean air filters, then I'll do that.

I'm still rather bugged by a saw that needs a new filter after 4 tanks...
Needs a pre filter. How would a thin piece of open cell foam work. It’s a bad design.

No way I'm buying a new filter that often...blow it out and reuse!

Open foam would not filter fines...?

Blowing didn't work well - too dense it appears

Open foam would not filter fines...?

Blowing didn't work well - too dense it appears
It’s what my lawn mower uses. I like them better than paper/cloth as they are easier to clean oils off of. And pretty sure that’s what my ryobi uses. I think the do a good job. If you can keep oil off them they are easy to clean out. And you still have the original to catch smaller stuff. I don’t consider chainsaw dust a really fine particle.

It’s what my lawn mower uses. I like them better than paper/cloth as they are easier to clean oils off of. And pretty sure that’s what my ryobi uses. I think the do a good job. If you can keep oil off them they are easy to clean out. And you still have the original to catch smaller stuff. I don’t consider chainsaw dust a really fine particle.
Normally you don't see that fine dust, being outside etc.
It's more fine than sawdust from wood boring insects. It was like flour.

But it's good to get a list of what people do/use to clean their air filters, so I can try as many different things possible to postpone having to buy new ones so often.

Reactions: EbS-P
If you are getting flour , your chain is dull. Filters- I clean mine with a heavy duty cleaner degreaser straight up. That de-solves the pitch and such as well.

Reactions: bigealta
If you are getting flour , your chain is dull. Filters- I clean mine with a heavy duty cleaner degreaser straight up. That de-solves the pitch and such as well.
I'm sorry, as I said above, 1/2-5/8 inch long chips show my chain is not dull.

Yet, a little flour gets into the air filter. No flour to be seen anywhere on the ground or in the air when cutting.

Thanks for the degreaser-pitch remark; I had not thought of that and it may be useful (when I get pitch pine again).

Locust can seem to create dust sometimes especially if it's dry.