Possible Upgrade from Jotul C350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sen166

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
Hello all,

I'm a new member here. I have been reading this site for quite some time although, unfortunately, after I had a Jotul C350 Winterport installed into a Superior HC-3820A ZC fireplace.

I live in an approximately 1800 square foot two story home (main living areas on main floor with bedrooms upstairs) with a relatively open floor plan in Mid-Michigan. Initially I was happy with the manner in which my Winterport heated my main living area; I had no expectation for it to heat my entire home. However, as the weather has become colder, I've noticed the insert even lacks heating the main living area where it is installed. I'm using dry, seasoned wood and have experimented with blower settings and air control more times than I wish to reflect on.

After researching and reading much more of this forum, I'm beginning to realize I may have been duped by the dealer from which I made my purchase. Looking back now I see the dealer did not really inform me of any real options during my initial visit and even made me put a deposit down before they would come to my home to inspect and measure my fireplace. But, that is beside the point.

I have done some more researching and have found the Lopi Republic 1750i (2.2 cubic foot firebox versus the 1.2 cubic foot firebox on the Winterport) and see that it will most likely fit into my existing fireplace although I would have to extend my hearth out (I have a raised brick hearth and would possibly place ceramic tile out in front of the hearth to extend the ember protection). Would it be worth my time and money (quoted approximately $2500 for the Lopi) for the upgrade? I have only had the Jotul for not even one winter yet and am just feeling frustrated with its lack of performance. My furnace runs on propane and I'm trying to keep that cost down while also keeping the wife warm and happy.

Thank you for your help and input.

Last edited:
Welcome. The hearth could be exended at the floor level with a simple hearth extension pad available on Amazon for under $90.

Status
Not open for further replies.