Please help with this woodstove issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

beetlejuice

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2010
hershey pa
I have a 2 year old Blaze-king Princess. The wood I am burning ths year has been split and stacked for almost 18 months and is mainly locust. The moisture meter reads anywhere from 20-23%. My issue is that after I have a huge bed of hot coals, I open the air control fully and keep the cat lever, or maybe this is called the flue, open and add new wood. As soon as the new wood is burning I close the flue or cat control lever the fire goes completely out with in a minute or two. This is the case on every load of wood. Sometimes I just let it smolder and try to get the fire going again by repeating the above steps but I run into the same issue. Is it possible that my air intake on the front of my stove is clogged or something. I have researched almost every thread here but can’t seem to find a resolution to this problem. I could understand if the wood was wet but I cut, split, stacked and used a moisture meter myself on the wood, please help.

Also, I have only three controls for this stove. I have an air control that is supposed to control the air flow, a main lever on the side of the stove that engages the cat and a blower control. As of now I am not using the blower or fans. The cat engage lever is working because it seems to effect the air inside the stove because when I close or engae this lever the fire goes out. The air control also seems to be working because I can see an immediate effect when I adjust this when the fire is burning for the minute or two I have one.

I don't have a "cat" stove but I would guess the converter is clogged somehow. You didn't mention any smoke coming out of the stove so I'm probably wrong. Have you burnt any bad wood (lawn clean up, wet wood etc.) prior to the locust?

No smoke feeding back into house. I have buned some wet wood in the past and lol it dosen't burn much different than my dry wood, minus the sizzle and smolder time. The symptoms seem to point to wet wood but my readings are decent and I know how it was split and dried.

Yes, locust creates some serious coals. To burn them down, move them more to the front of the stove and open up the air at least half way. Burn away, then repeat and open up the air all the way if necessary.

For the snuffing out problem, the fresh wood is going to need more air to ignite. Are you opening up the air control when adding the wood? Check to be sure that it is actually opening. Also, have you examined the catalylist comb for plugging? Does the stove burn fine if the cat is not engaged?

it sounds like your cat is clogged or your stack temps arnt where they need to be for a efficient draft. another option, based off of personal expience, is burning locust (black) it doesnt put off much flame. what i try to do is put a nice split of locust in the middle and a split of oak, cherry, elm, on either side to help it burn. usually i can burn 2 loads of wood before the locust is coals. locust is one of the hardest woods to burn because of its great density. try that and see what results you get. obviously if the stove is "hot" enough any species of wood will burn but locust tends to burn like coal compaired to other species.

shouldnt the cat bypass be left open and the fire to a certain temp before engaging the cat. I know I cant engage the neverburn system untill the stove get good and cranking. I allways felt alot od folks had problems with the everburn VC stoves because of this.

Yes the air is fully open, I can hear the flap open and close at a certain point when I turn the knob. Also I see a clear change in the fire if I turn it to open or closed. I didn't check for clogging in the comb but I will do that now. When I close the lever for the cat I assume that it closes or restricts the air supply right? If the fire is burning good is completely goes out when I close the cat. If I leave the cat handle in the open position the fire burns great, gets hot and I can even use the air control knob and somewhat control the fire but I shouldn't burn with it open should I?

Thanks for helping me out here. I've read these post for a long time and I am amazed at the experience a lot of you have. It makes us newbies rest easy knowing help is out there.

After reading the other replies to my post I should add that I 've gotten my stove temp very hot before closing the cat. A minute or so later.....fire goes out and wood smolders.

beetlejuice said:
Yes the air is fully open, I can hear the flap open and close at a certain point when I turn the knob. Also I see a clear change in the fire if I turn it to open or closed. I didn't check for clogging in the comb but I will do that now. When I close the lever for the cat I assume that it closes or restricts the air supply right? If the fire is burning good is completely goes out when I close the cat. If I leave the cat handle in the open position the fire burns great, gets hot and I can even use the air control knob and somewhat control the fire but I shouldn't burn with it open should I?

Not having run a cat, I wouldn't think so, but am not sure. I'm burning very dry locust and can say that our wood is pretty easy to get started burning. I would open the air control and try it for one more data point. I'd also resplit a couple sticks of the locust and verify that it is dry on the freshly split face of the wood.

After you check your thermostat, you might want to start a new post (or edit title of this one?) to include Blaze King in the topic line. That should get more BK owners to read and respond, and offer additional insight and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.