Please help with ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jersey_Marine

Nov 29, 2013
Northwest New Jersey
I’ve narrowed down my hunt to 2 Stoves. Swapping out my old stove for a new one. The Jotul Carrabassett or the Hearthstone Heritage? I want to pull the trigger on a choice tomorrow. Any ideas? Any concerns? Pros and cons? Your help is greatly appreciated

Jøtul F55 FTW!

I like stone stoves, but I don't like what I've read about the Hearthstone. For starters, the door assembly is/was weak. . .looks like they have recently addressed this.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...or-hinge-pin-and-handle-latch-problem.153914/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woodstock-keystone-vs-hearthstone-heritage.67869/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fireview-first-break-in-fire-damage-to-rear-panel.70697/

Stones can crack. My stove has double-wall construction, so it's not as big a deal if a stone cracks. Hearthstone uses thick single walls, but not quite as thick as the 2 walls together on a Woodstock. Also, it is believed that the 2 walls distribute heat more evenly, so less likely to get a crack from a hot spot. Whatever the reason, you hear fewer stories about cracks in Woodstocks.

If you're not burning 24/7, a stone stove takes awhile to get up to temp from a cold start.

Would you care to tell us a bit about your burning style and space to be heated, so we can give you a more informed opinion?

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Two very different designs and sized stoves. If you need to go big and want good 24/7 burning then the F55 is the one to go with.

Thank you for replying. I currently have an Englander which isn’t doing the trick and want to upgrade. The Englander isn’t efficient at all and Im looking for a more efficient burn that can be controlled instead of packing a stove with wood and making it roar to work.
The stove will be in the lowest portion of the house with a staircase directly in front of it. I will have a blower on the stove to blow the air up the steps to get to the rest of the house. Since me and my girl leave for work at separate times its possible to have it burn all day if she puts some wood in it before work. Im looking for a nice, efficient, hot long burn that can last all day

Which model Englander? The 30 NC will work well with a partial load of wood and is an efficient design.

It is the 30 NC. I haven’t found it to be very efficient but then again im not a stove expert. I used it for the last 4 years. It doesnt seem to maintain the heat as it should unless its packed with wood with the damper all the way to 1/2 open. Ive also found it to be getting worse as the years go on. My wood is dry so that isnt the problem either. I just took the pipes out from the top with the ceramic boards. Cleaned it all down and re-installed. Lighting a fire as i type this. I just think the efficiency isnt there for what i want it for. The Englander would be a better stove for a mechanic’s garage where it can be tended to all day in one open room format

If the stove has to be run with that much air then something is not right. Usually this points to poorly seasoned wood or insufficient draft. It sounds like the stove is in the basement or lower level which could be a clue to the problem. If the problem is negative pressure causing weak draft then a new stove will not fix the issue. Have you tried cracking open a window close to the stove about 1/2" to see if that affects the burn?

Reactions: Woody Stover
I just cracked the sliding door open 1/2 inch near the stove. I want to see what happens. The fire flares up in the beginning nice and seems fo have a nice draft but then pipes down after a little while

I just cracked the sliding door open 1/2 inch near the stove. I want to see what happens. The fire flares up in the beginning nice and seems fo have a nice draft but then pipes down after a little while
It sounds like additional air helped, but air supply may be only part of the problem. Can you describe the entire flue system from the stove connection to the chimney cap? Include any elbows or tees, the approximate length of sections and the overall height from stove to chimney cap.

I think i found the problem. I thought the wood i was using was seasoned. Evidently it isnt. I got beat on ordering wood from Craigslist. I just threw some old wood i had in the back of my house and its blazing with no trouble at all. Im really aggravated. Im still going to get a new stove but now i need to order new wood as well

Reactions: ddddddden
Bummer. It is hard to find fully seasoned wood. You'll want to watch your flue. Poorly seasoned wood can build up creosote quickly.

Changing from the 30NC to the Jotul F55 will be a similar burning experience in a nicer package. The Heritage will have shorter burn times and reports are that it tends to have a hotter flue temp indicating a lower efficiency. If you are looking for a high efficiency soapstone stove consider the Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you guys for the information and advice. This site is awesome
before ordering more wood that might be unseasoned get some prices at tractor supply or Kuiken bro's on a full pallet of compressed wood bricks, your guaranteed dry wood if you go that route, plus there might be a sale on these due to the holidays.

As a Hearthstone owner: if you are looking for a pretty stove, buy the Hearthstone. If you want good heat, buy something else. Mine gobbles up wood, takes way long to heat up and I would be ecstatic if I could get 8 hours burn time on a load of wood.

Where can I find these bio bricks. Eco bricks. Etc. i just contacted the local tractor supply and kuiken bros and they dont have?
Someone is giving you the run around, I was at tractor supply on Friday and they had pallets of them sitting right at the front door, kuiken bro's in wantage has them also, although they are slightly more expensive imo

We call them energy logs in our area. Lignetics makes some. They are compressed wood chips/saw dust into logs.

I think you should go in person and look for them. It sounds like there are different names for them and maybe the hired help answering the phone are not sure what you are asking about.

Energy logs are different than biobricks. Same concept but the product varies in form and varies with the sawdust wood species and the degree of compression used to make them. The king of these products is the Northern Idaho Energy Log. They burn hot, long and with little ash residue (and they don't float) At the other end of the spectrum are products with very low compression. These products flake apart easily, burn fasth and create a lot of ash.

Reactions: Doc C
Im going to go to tractor supply myself instead of listening to someone answering the phone...Anyway if I wait to purchase a new stove instead of doing it now? How much money will I save? Is it that significant?

Fun fact. I can see the lignetics plant that makes the energy logs from my house! It caught on fire last year. My wife called dispatch and told them it on was on fire and they blew her off. She explained many times she lives down the road and sees the plant everyday. Finally after many more people called they took it serious. Looked like they got it confined to the roof and smoke stack.

Fun fact. I can see the lignetics plant that makes the energy logs from my house! It caught on fire last year. My wife called dispatch and told them it on was on fire and they blew her off. She explained many times she lives down the road and sees the plant everyday. Finally after many more people called they took it serious. Looked like they got it confined to the roof and smoke stack.

How exactly did that conversation go?

Operator: Fire department, what is your emergency?

Caller: Hi, I see a large building which is on fire.

Operator: That sounds unlikely. Are you sure it's not a streetlight?

Caller: ....no, it looks more like a large building which is on fire.

Operator: Can you take another look and call back later if you're really sure it's a fire and not a streetlight?

Caller: Look, I think I know the difference between a large burning building and a streetlight.

Operator: Of course you do, it's just that we get so many of this exact kind of streetlight calls... and every time we walk down to the strip club, wake the firemen, rush out to the scene, and find out it's a streetlight. Sometimes we even put on pants. Who wants to put on pants for a streetlight?

Caller: Look, is there someone else I can talk to? The fire looks like it's spreading.

Operator: Yes, streetlights can sometimes cluster together. Tell you what, give me your address, and we'll mail you a fabulous pamphlet with illustrations to help you spot the difference between a streetlight and a fire emergency.

Caller: Put your supervisor on the phone. This is an emergency.

Operator: Please hold, looks like someone else is calling about their streetlight...